Ekaunot/equinox ale I made

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitrogenWidget

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
In threw this together a few weeks back following what I think is a standard hop schedule and had a question about the Vienna malt I threw in because it was hanging around.

7lb 2 row
.5lb Vienna
.25 CTZ 60min.
.25 equinox 15 min
.25 equinox 5 min
Sf-05 yeast
Dry hop with .25 eukanot
92% efficiency
1.046 og
1.009 fg
4.8% abv
This has a slightly reddish color and tastes amazing.
My question is how much would skipping the Vienna malt don't on the flavor?
I'm thinking not much but I want to make a 10 gallon batch this weekend and would need to hit up the HB shop for Vienna if I don't go with all 2 row.

From my personal experience, brewing an ale with just 2-row creates something that lacks body. I feel that you need something to back that up. Vienna, Munich, Crystal 10... But that is just me. I like malt heavy beers.

If your goal is to make something light and refreshing, using just 2-row is fine. It really depends on your taste.

Removing the 6.7% vienna from the grain bill probably isn't going to be missed as it isn't that much different from 2 row.

I think in a low gravity recipe, a half lb of vienna can do a lot and I would leave it (maybe do a whole lb) in there. Just enough to make it interesting.

ok. hold off on the vienna for a second, yesterday this beer was fruity and tropical.
candy without the sweetness came to mind when I drank it.
Today after dry-hopping on monday i'm getting a distinct pepper flavor.
it's not bad at all but i wanted the tropical flavors for other's.

i'm now wondering if tossing hops in at the end of the boil while the wort chiller does it's thing is the way to go vs dry-hopping or dry hop in the keg but only for a few days before I pull the tea-ball?

Last edited:
ok. hold off on the vienna for a second, yesterday this beer was fruity and tropical.
candy without the sweetness came to mind when I drank it.
Today after dry-hopping on monday i'm getting a distinct pepper flavor.
it's not bad at all but i wanted the tropical flavors for other's.

i'm now wondering if tossing hops in at the end of the boil while the wort chiller does it's thing is the way to go vs dry-hopping or dry hop in the keg but only for a few days before I pull the tea-ball?

A good percentage of people who try Ekuanot claim a green jalapeño type of flavor from it, mixed with fruitiness. You’re pretty light on hops in this recipe, but dry hopping brings out more of the hops aromatic compounds, so perhaps you may be sensitive to that note. Ekuanot may just not be your jam; from the couple times I’ve used it (in much greater quantities though) I’ve enjoyed it. I think it’s a hop that benefits from blending with other hops though.

A good percentage of people who try Ekuanot claim a green jalapeño type of flavor from it, mixed with fruitiness. You’re pretty light on hops in this recipe, but dry hopping brings out more of the hops aromatic compounds, so perhaps you may be sensitive to that note. Ekuanot may just not be your jam; from the couple times I’ve used it (in much greater quantities though) I’ve enjoyed it. I think it’s a hop that benefits from blending with other hops though.

It’s less green pepper now and coming back to fruity. Lol

Took it to a party and people drank it because of the green pepper undertones and trying to get more of it.
It’s not bad at all.

For future batches I will dry hop with something different.
Maybe centennial since I have plenty of those.

Thanks for the info

Back