EHerms Brew Biuld!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PleasantValleyHops

Reaction score
So i should prob start off the way most of these start off telling everyone thanks for inspiration and the experience of the ebrewing to really jump start finally moving to a more controlable setup. also a big thanks to the wife for not killing me for rearranging our basement several times now, and as long as i get our house projects done also i can continue to biuld! Now for the Plans

its going to be a Three vessel single teir set up in my basement.
5500 w elements in both hltherms and boil kettle.
going to be controled by a 3 Pid CP w one pump for wort transfers and such.
ive actually been planning for a little bit but didnt want to make a thread about the biuld until i knew i was a little closer to being able to actually complete things so most parts are actually already here and ready for install. got lucky with some major wiring bonuses such as my subpanel, all wire for the setup. my element recept. and enclosure. this has def. help speed up the process since everything does add up quick.
i will also biuld a hood to help with ventilation so just add it to the list.. here are few pictures to get this whole thing started.. sorry pictures suck. still rockin my old school 3GS iphone!

e839c6f1.jpg

693a0b13.jpg

855d5019.jpg

f4b04857.jpg

83bacdc1.jpg

Sink had to get cut for more space.. sucked cutting 2ft off that beauty but had to do what i had to do!
4d104d3e.jpg

brew area Hood future
26254195.jpg

control panel
04676f25.jpg

Overall i know its not going to be the coolest or all fancy.. i like brewing and if it means i need to skip some cosmetics i will. more pictures to come as progress is made.

Looks good, but that old blue and white rag behind the panel should be thrown away! :) Not a ravens fan?

04676f25.jpg

Overall i know its not going to be the coolest or all fancy.. i like brewing and if it means i need to skip some cosmetics i will. more pictures to come as progress is made.

Looking nice. I have been looking for rotary buttons like yours. Do you switch your PID with them? I wanted to switch my water element with them, but I cant find button with the good amp. I'll keep looking. :D

l3asturd said:
Looks good, but that old blue and white rag behind the panel should be thrown away! :) Not a ravens fan?

Its actually a chair. But no not a ravens fan. If i have to pick an afc team tho thats who it would be. Ill post pictures of the sitting area for the brewery at a later date. Plenty of dallas stuff to go along w that!

Jazzeux said:
Looking nice. I have been looking for rotary buttons like yours. Do you switch your PID with them? I wanted to switch my water element with them, but I cant find button with the good amp. I'll keep looking. :D

Ill basically be running a similar set up to kals w the dpst relay. So they wont see any juice really. But they will be between the pid and the ssr eithe way so that if i dont want power to them i can still monitor everything then kill power as needed. I was eyeing up my wiring last night to try and figure out whats actually needed.

Ill basically be running a similar set up to kals w the dpst relay. So they wont see any juice really. But they will be between the pid and the ssr eithe way so that if i dont want power to them i can still monitor everything then kill power as needed. I was eyeing up my wiring last night to try and figure out whats actually needed.

Of course, it's a good way to go!! I don't know why I didn't think about it. I think I will redraw my electrical configuration. Simple question, I bought 2 PID and I want to add a rotary selector (3 positions) to select between 2 heater elements. Can I mount a selector like this one between both PID and my two SSR relays?

Acouple more things done. Waiting for se solid time to button up all the wiring.

image-480089470.jpg

Now for the herms. I do have a couple more questions. Ive been going back and forth on length of the herms coil. Im currently using a 50' ic. 3/8" tubing. Could i cut that in half and use hal for the herms cool and use the other half for cfc. Since it would be closer to a 24' herms. Is this suitable enough to live with for heat exchange .

Just a little more progress so far
just

image-417134645.jpg

image-2312696552.jpg

Found that installing components as i need them for wiring makes it easier on my fat fingers. Unfortunately thats all the further i have gotten so far. Another weekend full of work and honey do list are never ending.

Slowly getting there. Sucks being busy

image-982408714.jpg

image-2566387660.jpg

Suppose to have a hood being made up for me so im waiting on that. Also ran out of spade con so need to pick up a few more of those. Kinda a test fit on the stainless shelf. Not sure if i want it there or somewhere else. I need some encouragement to get this thing done!!

Edit. The ground bar is a little over kill i know but i figure if i can use it and all its going to do is add a little more safety. Its rated for a 2000 amp switchgear. So path of least resistance is def doing its thing. Ill bond all kettles and the cp to it and then pipe up and over to ground electrode incase u all wanted to know what my plans were
Double edit. The little tiny turkey fryer pot was temp so i could brew. Have my other keggle getting back together for final

Wow, multipoint ground bar! I think you may even pass our federal inspections with that thing. Haha. First time I've seen one of those used on a beer rig. Cool!

l3asturd said:
Wow, multipoint ground bar! I think you may even pass our federal inspections with that thing. Haha. First time I've seen one of those used on a beer rig. Cool!

Really one of those overkill but hey. Its expensive to buy but to scrap its prob only $75 worth of copper so what the heck. And i think it looks cool. And to me was a freebie!! Isolators and my number 6 grd that will link everything together!!

Well. Guess after a long awaited brew day on a complete system I will finally brew on this fully functioning tomorrow!!!!! Can't wait. Will post on how everything works out. Did test run to sanitize and clean everything today. Seemed to go alright!!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

1390188972265.jpg

1390188996860.jpg

1390189068423.jpg

Of course, it's a good way to go!! I don't know why I didn't think about it. I think I will redraw my electrical configuration. Simple question, I bought 2 PID and I want to add a rotary selector (3 positions) to select between 2 heater elements. Can I mount a selector like this one between both PID and my two SSR relays?
thats what I did.... only you will need two contactor relays to switch on and off with the 3 position switch. or each switch if you wire it so both can work at the same time.

Congratulations on being ready for your first brew, :mug: It is hard to say that to a cowgirls fan though....

Hah. Everything went great. 85.4% efficiency. Hit all my numbers. Whirl pool worked well. I'd say almost no hops or hot break made into the ferm. Planning for next brew I think for Sunday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Home Brew mobile app

Back