Egyptian clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marcagio

Reaction score
I read online that one could clone tuthankamon ale... i followed the recipe for an extract brew with amber + wheat extracts. Used some WY1214. Juniper berries and coriander... Boiled (full boil) for 15 minutes... I punched the yeasts bag and waited about 2h before I threw it in... Temp was perfect, OG was a bit high but I didn't mind, knowing that the yeasts I was using could survive worst than that...

Brewing took a very long time to start, at least 4 days... Smelled like rotten eggs... I didn't do anything, I just waited for it to stop and stabilise... I then proceeded to bottling (500ml p.e.t bottles) carbing with table sugar. I also kegged a gallon (no sugar)

Some black dots are floating, I think it's just residue from the juniper berries...

The taste after 3 weeks : SOUR... Very very very sour... It tastes quit exactly like an old Lambic style beer...

Is it ruined? Or is there anything to do? How about I just tell my friend, look, i just brewed a Lambic!??? Will it kill anyone? I got quite a good buzz by drinking a 500ml bottle to myself.

Well. Nobody seems to give a single F* about my thread but here's an update. : several weeks later, the sour taste is pretty much gone and it tastes very good. Very strange but very good. It's very different from what we r used to cause there are no hops and the juniper berries have a huge impact... i think the sour taste was from the yeasts that were still in suspention.

Interesting read!

Without any hops, I'll bet your bottles didn't last long. I made a 1 g batch of Fraoch Heather ale, and the first three bottles were great, but the last three a few weeks later were just malty with little heather taste or aroma.

Back