Efficiency problems... 60% or so and getting frustrated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Schlomo

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Been brewing for the last 5 or 6 years with few issues. Recently did a pretty large upgrade to my system which included a new keggle mash tun, rounding out my 3 vessle HERMS system.

I've always gotten about 75-80% efficiency with my beers, but as of late i've not been able to solve my low efficiency issues (60% or so). I've tried my crush, and experimented with .037, .035 and .032 (Yesterdays Brew) and only saw a difference in my recirculation speed, with little difference in efficiency. I use a Blichman Autosparge when i sparge, and usually just run it continuously with 1" or so of water above the grain bed until I hit my boil volume, and shut it off.

Am I over sparging with that setup? I guess i am introducing more volume of water in the sparge than my recipe calls for as I do not stop the flow of water into the mash tun from the sparge arm during the fly sparge.

Other than my sparge, im at a loss. maybe someone on here can help me out! Oh, and my PH is dead nuts on between 5.3-5.5 for the last few beers. Tested at 70f with my calibrated PH meter.

To start troubleshooting this take a gravity on your first runnings and see what your conversion efficiency is (see link below, about midway down the page). If you are in the mid to high 90's then you can focus on your lautering. How long are you taking to fly sparge?

http://www.braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=Troubleshooting_Brewhouse_Efficiency

Fly sparge usually 30 minutes or so. Haven't actually timed it but its in that range.

Next brew i'll write down everything and post on here. My last brew (RIS) was reading 1.085 for the first runnings, with a 1.4 grist ratio. About 8.7 Gallons of water to 22lbs of grain for a 5 gallon batch. Ended up adding a lb of pale DME to the beer and still only hit 1.093. My beersmith brewhouse efficiency was set to 65% to get 1.093 without the DME addition, so even with the DME i barely hit my number... The runnings out of the mash were still 1.025 and ended up with a 3 hour boil to get a few extra points. Final runnings (Not in the kettle) were 1.02, so there were a few points left i could have grabbed, but didnt want to boil longer than 3 hours...

What are the dimensions of your mash tun? If the grain bed is to tall you could suffer efficiency problems. I normally do a 60 minute sparge for 10 gallon batches so 30 minutes for 5 should be enough.

As far as leaving extra water in the mash tun some people do it but I do not. I stop my adding water to my sparge before run-off is over and try to time it so there is not much water left in the mash tun after I collect my boil volume.

When's the last time you calibrated your hydrometer and your mash temp thermometer?

Its been awhile for the thermometers and haven't actually ever calibrated the Refractometer. 2 thermometers, 1 on the outlet of the HERMS coil, and one at the bottom of the mash tun.. Typically the mash tun bottom lags by about 2 degrees of the outlet of the HERMS coil. Towards the end of the mash they tend to line up basically the same.

I actually just bought a refractometer to test just this. I'll calibrate the Hydrometer in water to get any offset, and compare that to my Refractometer to my Hydrometer from there.

Think that could be the issue?

Hey everyone,

Been brewing for the last 5 or 6 years with few issues. Recently did a pretty large upgrade to my system which included a new keggle mash tun, rounding out my 3 vessle HERMS system.

I've always gotten about 75-80% efficiency with my beers, but as of late i've not been able to solve my low efficiency issues (60% or so). I've tried my crush, and experimented with .037, .035 and .032 (Yesterdays Brew) and only saw a difference in my recirculation speed, with little difference in efficiency. I use a Blichman Autosparge when i sparge, and usually just run it continuously with 1" or so of water above the grain bed until I hit my boil volume, and shut it off.

Am I over sparging with that setup? I guess i am introducing more volume of water in the sparge than my recipe calls for as I do not stop the flow of water into the mash tun from the sparge arm during the fly sparge.

Other than my sparge, im at a loss. maybe someone on here can help me out! Oh, and my PH is dead nuts on between 5.3-5.5 for the last few beers. Tested at 70f with my calibrated PH meter.

My guess is that when you upgraded your equipment you inadvertently set yourself up to get some channeling in the tun. You aren't oversparging, effectively you are undersparging because the water isn't going through all the grain evenly. The double batch sparge suggest by Wilserbrewer is a check for that. A double batch sparge should be nearly as efficient at collecting the sugars as a fly sparge.

My guess is that when you upgraded your equipment you inadvertently set yourself up to get some channeling in the tun. You aren't oversparging, effectively you are undersparging because the water isn't going through all the grain evenly. The double batch sparge suggest by Wilserbrewer is a check for that. A double batch sparge should be nearly as efficient at collecting the sugars as a fly sparge.

I was wondering this myself. The blichman auto sparge is supposed to cycle around in a circle around the top of the grain bed, but i wonder if its just running down the side. I may make some type of manifold to rest on the top of the grain bed to more evenly distribute the sparge before my next brew, and see if that helps. Otherwise, i may just do a batch sparge i guess. Kinda sucks spending the money on the nice sparge assembly from Blichman and not using it lol.

I was wondering this myself. The blichman auto sparge is supposed to cycle around in a circle around the top of the grain bed, but i wonder if its just running down the side. I may make some type of manifold to rest on the top of the grain bed to more evenly distribute the sparge before my next brew, and see if that helps. Otherwise, i may just do a batch sparge i guess. Kinda sucks spending the money on the nice sparge assembly from Blichman and not using it lol.

I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't use the Blichman in the future, just that doing one double batch sparge would tell you if that was a problem area. If the batch sparge identifies that as the problem, then you go about fixing it. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

haven't actually ever calibrated the Refractometer.

I actually just bought a refractometer to test just this. I'll calibrate the Hydrometer in water to get any offset, and compare that to my Refractometer to my Hydrometer from there.?

My cheap-o Hydrometer was off by .003 You should be able to calibrate your refractometer with distilled water, I am sure it is way off from the factory and the bouncing around during the shipping process.

Who's false bottom are you using? When I had my Keggle-based system I used the brewhardware.com dip tube and false bottom. My efficiency was always around 88% with a .040 gap on a 3 roll monster mill.

The dip tube to bulkhead connection leaves a lot to be desired, are you leaking wort through that joint?

Chris

My cheap-o Hydrometer was off by .003 You should be able to calibrate your refractometer with distilled water, I am sure it is way off from the factory and the bouncing around during the shipping process.

Who's false bottom are you using? When I had my Keggle-based system I used the brewhardware.com dip tube and false bottom. My efficiency was always around 88% with a .040 gap on a 3 roll monster mill.

The dip tube to bulkhead connection leaves a lot to be desired, are you leaking wort through that joint?

Chris
I use the Pico style false bottom and have a bottom drain keggle mash tun. Last batch i tightened up my mill to .032 and had a really slow HERMS recirc with little to no increase in efficiency, so im going to back it off back to .036 as i troubleshoot as it seems that is not the problem.

There is a slight gap in the middle section of my false bottom but not significant. I really dont notice any material making its way back up during my recirculation. I have noticed the bottom bit of my grain bed is VERY compacted after my mash is completed and im cleaning. Wonder if i need to slow my recirculation at first to allow the whole bed to settle?

So I have a 50' 1/2" HERMS coil and always run my chugger pump full bore.

Another observation is that efficiency calculations are a crapshoot at our small batch sizes. If a half gallon gets caught in the hoses or kettle this can swing your efficiency 10-20 points. The fact that you are missing your OG is more concerning since this is an accurate way to measure efficiency when the volume is close to being spot on. Are you using beersmith? I do think you are losing efficiency since you are adding way too much sparge water. Beersmith calculates sparge water very accurately, I would use it. Normally, when I am done lautering, there is maybe a quarter of a gallon of wort left in my mash tun. I lauter over a period of an hour regardless if making a 5 or 10 gallon batch.

Chris

I don't think it's your system. I think there is something gone astray in your process and/or calibrations. I have a typical 3 vessel system and with 5 and 10 gallon batches I always see low to mid 90's on mash efficiency and high 80's to 90 on BH efficiency. There's nothing high tech about my system other than the PID's that control the temps. I have a chugger pump, 25' of 1/2 copper on the HERMS, a morebeer false bottom for sanke kegs. Simple and generic.

If you are sparging until pre-boil level is reached in the BK, with fluid on top of the grain bed the whole time, you should be exchanging sweet wort with water in the MLT and should be collecting the good stuff just fine. I'll assume your sparge water is 165F to 170F (cold water will not "wash away" the sugars as well as hot water). Of course if there is any channeling, your efficiency may suffer. With proper grind and a good top swirl, there should be no channeling. As long as there is flow and bits of grain are not being recirculated (i.e. a filter bed does actually form and the liquid on top of the grain is clear and nice), your false bottom and flow is good.

Years ago, I got rid of sparge arms, drippy things, and spray things. Went with a simple silicone return tube that lays on top of the grain bed and swirls the fluid. I'll never go back to anything else. I keep about 1.5" of fluid above the grain bed during mash recirculation and sparge. IMO there is no reason for anything more complex than that.

You should be able to run your pump full flow during mashing, if you have enough coil to exchange heat. Flow rate is more for temp control and response time. If you are flowing and the grain bed is seeing the correct temp until conversion is complete, you are mashing. For sparging, sure, restrict the flow to match the draining of the wort. IMO a 20 to 30 minute sparge is fine.

First, calibrate your refractometer. Both of mine were WAY off out of the box and over time need to be recalibrated. It's as simple as dripping some distilled water on the lens and adjusting the screw. If you don't have an adjustment, know how much its off and apply that offset to your readings. If you use a hydrometer, remember to adjust for temperature.

Next, calibrate your temp probes, thermometers, whatever you use to determine and control mash temps. Use a known accurate thermometer or compare it against another. Adjust or remember and apply the offset as needed.

For fun during mashing, check your SG every 5 or 10 minutes. You will see it increase then plateau. When it no longer increases, you know that you have converted everything you can. You can also do an iodine test if you like. Remember to let that wort sample cool before checking. Some refractometers are not accurate with really hot liquid. I keep a couple shot glasses and a bowl of water on my bench. I dip about 1/4 of the shot glass, put it in the water bath, then a little white later, check my SG and pH.

Speaking of pH, if you have a meter, make sure its calibrated and check your pH about 10 minutes into your mash. Have your acid ready in case it needs to be adjusted. If adjusting it, check it again in 5 or 10 minutes. pH meters do stray. Keep them calibrated and clean. Rinse the probe in distilled water after removing it from the storage solution and before placing it back in the storage solution.

When mash is complete, raise the HLT/Recirc temp to 168 or so (give or take a couple degrees), then begin your sparge. Go slow and keep sparge water on top the grain bed. When your pre-boil level is reached, stop. Grab a sample of the sparge runnings, let cool, check pH and SG. The final runnings should be near 6.0 and 1.010. If its close, you did great! I normally sparge with about 2" above the grain bed, then stop the HLT input when i'm about 1.5 gallons away from my pre-boil level. This way there isn't as much water to remove from the MLT during cleanup. For now, I would recommend you just let-r-rip and keep flowing until pre-boil level is reached.

Before you kick on the boil STIR THE BOIL KETTLE (some people forget this, there will be some density stratification in the kettle) then take a sample, cool it and log the pre-boil SG.

Do your boil. Half (or more often if you like) way through, check your level. If you need to adjust the heat to reach your post boil level in the right about of time, adjust as needed. When the boil is done, grab another sample and let it cool. Log your final SG.

Plug all your numbers into beersmith or whatever software you like. My hunch is after you check everything, calibrate everything, and keep it simple, your mash efficiency will be at least high 80's :)

Last edited:
I dont have any distilled water on hand, but with filtered water my refractometer was reading guestimated the equivalent of -1.013 or so. I'll get some distilled before my next brew and calibrate it and my Hydrometer with that, and test my next batch using both.

I dont have any distilled water on hand, but with filtered water my refractometer was reading guestimated the equivalent of -1.013 or so. I'll get some distilled before my next brew and calibrate it and my Hydrometer with that, and test my next batch using both.

Wow, that is way way WAY the frak off, and explains your entire dilemma. Calibrate your equipment, and often.

Holy moly. Either your refractometer was grossly off or your filtered water needs some serious help :)

A gallon of distilled water from any supermarket or quicky mart should last many brew cycles. It's just a good "tool" to have on your bench.

Holy moly. Either your refractometer was grossly off or your filtered water needs some serious help :)

A gallon of distilled water from any supermarket or quicky mart should last many brew cycles. It's just a good "tool" to have on your bench.
Agreed, and in all honesty tap water should be good enough.

Chris

Another observation is that efficiency calculations are a crapshoot at our small batch sizes. If a half gallon gets caught in the hoses or kettle this can swing your efficiency 10-20 points

This is an excellent point that isn't talked about much. It depends greatly on how the system is plumbed. If your sparge water is valved and plumbed into the same line as the coils/pump/etc as the wort, you should "exchange" the wort with sparge water and not "lose" the goodness. If the sparge water comes into the MLT separately and/or wort is left in the lines and coils, you are absolutely correct and this quantity can be quite substantial in calculations, especially with smaller batch sizes.

On my system (all hard lined with valves), the total gating, herms and return line quantity is 0.588 gallons. In other words, if i want to put 5 gallons of strike water in the MLT and start it circulating and heating, it actually takes 5.588 because of the plumbing. To calculate water chemistry (minerals, salts, acids, etc) or check mash SG, i have to use 5.588. At sparge time, the MLT-to-pump valve is closed (trapping only a couple ounces of wort behind that valve) and the HLT-to-pump is opened, thus clearing the wort from all the lines, returning it to the MLT to drain out, and replacing it with sparge water. The 0.588 is never "lost". It is simply unused sparge water. I sparge to my given pre-boil level so the line volume excess at that point is moot since the sweet wort has been purged through (essentially fully recovered) and replaced with clean water.

[note: that's really hard to explain when you are doing Nyquil shooters for a raging head cold. i hope it made sense]

Everyones systems are different but the point is to know your system and how much actual volumes there are when calculating things and coming up with an efficiency number.

Last edited:
Fly sparge usually 30 minutes or so. Haven't actually timed it but its in that range.

Next brew i'll write down everything and post on here. My last brew (RIS) was reading 1.085 for the first runnings, with a 1.4 grist ratio. About 8.7 Gallons of water to 22lbs of grain for a 5 gallon batch. Ended up adding a lb of pale DME to the beer and still only hit 1.093. My beersmith brewhouse efficiency was set to 65% to get 1.093 without the DME addition, so even with the DME i barely hit my number... The runnings out of the mash were still 1.025 and ended up with a 3 hour boil to get a few extra points. Final runnings (Not in the kettle) were 1.02, so there were a few points left i could have grabbed, but didnt want to boil longer than 3 hours...
Is the 8.7 gal your strike volume or total water including sparge? 8.7 gal of strike water with 22 lbs of grain would be a 1.58 qt/lb grist ratio. If you really did have a 1.4 grist ratio, that would be 7.7 gal of strike water. A 1.4 grist ratio has a max first runnings SG of about 1.0868, so your 1.085 works out to a conversion efficiency of roughly 85/86.8 = 98%. That implies that your low mash efficiency is due to a low lauter efficiency, which further implies a poor fly sparge process. Try Wilser's suggestion of doing a batch sparge.

If you give me your target pre-boil volume for you 22 lb RIS batch, I can calculate what you would have gotten with a batch sparge.

Brew on :mug:

Is the 8.7 gal your strike volume or total water including sparge? 8.7 gal of strike water with 22 lbs of grain would be a 1.58 qt/lb grist ratio. If you really did have a 1.4 grist ratio, that would be 7.7 gal of strike water. A 1.4 grist ratio has a max first runnings SG of about 1.0868, so your 1.085 works out to a conversion efficiency of roughly 85/86.8 = 98%. That implies that your low mash efficiency is due to a low lauter efficiency, which further implies a poor fly sparge process. Try Wilser's suggestion of doing a batch sparge.

If you give me your target pre-boil volume for you 22 lb RIS batch, I can calculate what you would have gotten with a batch sparge.

Interesting. I put 1.4 into beersmith, which is probably where 7.7 is coming from rather than my total 8.7. Also accounts for 1 extra gallon of water due to dead space in the bottom of my mash tun and volume through the hoses and 50' SS coil(which totals about 1 gallon, maybe a little more).

This is an excellent point that isn't talked about much. It depends greatly on how the system is plumbed. If your sparge water is valved and plumbed into the same line as the coils/pump/etc as the wort, you should "exchange" the wort with sparge water and not "lose" the goodness. If the sparge water comes into the MLT separately and/or wort is left in the lines and coils, you are absolutely correct and this quantity can be quite substantial in calculations, especially with smaller batch sizes.

On my system (all hard lined with valves), the total gating, herms and return line quantity is 0.588 gallons. In other words, if i want to put 5 gallons of strike water in the MLT and start it circulating and heating, it actually takes 5.588 because of the plumbing. To calculate water chemistry (minerals, salts, acids, etc) or check mash SG, i have to use 5.588. At sparge time, the MLT-to-pump valve is closed (trapping only a couple ounces of wort behind that valve) and the HLT-to-pump is opened, thus clearing the wort from all the lines, returning it to the MLT to drain out, and replacing it with sparge water. The 0.588 is never "lost". It is simply unused sparge water. I sparge to my given pre-boil level so the line volume excess at that point is moot since the sweet wort has been purged through (essentially fully recovered) and replaced with clean water.

[note: that's really hard to explain when you are doing Nyquil shooters for a raging head cold. i hope it made sense]

Everyones systems are different but the point is to know your system and how much actual volumes there are when calculating things and coming up with an efficiency number.

I run my sparge water through and clean my coil and hoses, so i dont lose that goodness as well. Thanks for the input guys!

If you are recirculating all that 8.7 gal during the mash, then for the purposes of conversion efficiency determination, your mash thickness was 1.58 gal/lb, which has a max mash wort SG of about 1.078. Thus there is no way you could have actually had an SG of 1.085 in the mash. Got to be some measurement errors somewhere. Here's the math:

22 lbs of grain at an extract potential of 80% (1.037), with 4% moisture can create a max extract weight of 22 lb * 0.80 * 0.96 = 16.9 lb

8.7 gal of water (@ 68°F) weighs 8.7 gal * 8.33 lb/gal = 72.47 lb

Thus the max wort °Plato = 100°P * 16.9 lb / (16.9 lb + 72.47 lb) = 18.9 °P

18.9 °P = 1.078 SG​

If you are recirculating all that 8.7 gal during the mash, then for the purposes of conversion efficiency determination, your mash thickness was 1.58 gal/lb, which has a max mash wort SG of about 1.078. Thus there is no way you could have actually had an SG of 1.085 in the mash. Got to be some measurement errors somewhere. Here's the math:

22 lbs of grain at an extract potential of 80% (1.037), with 4% moisture can create a max extract weight of 22 lb * 0.80 * 0.96 = 16.9 lb

8.7 gal of water (@ 68°F) weighs 8.7 gal * 8.33 lb/gal = 72.47 lb

Thus the max wort °Plato = 100°P * 16.9 lb / (16.9 lb + 72.47 lb) = 18.9 °P

18.9 °P = 1.078 SG​
Well, i think its safe to say that my measurements are off, most likely due to my refractometer being out of cal.

The next brew should clear up any confusion in my own head with calibrated tools, so lets use that as a baseline moving forward. I'll post on here probably sunday with my numbers after calibration and see what everything comes out to.

Thanks for your help everyone.

Measure your dead space with the pico FB. It is a lot. I took a bunch off the supports and made them conform to the keg shape I now have around .75 gal dead space. I think it was over 2.5 originally. This is especially bad if you are brewing 5 gal batches.

Measure your dead space with the pico FB. It is a lot. I took a bunch off the supports and made them conform to the keg shape I now have around .75 gal dead space. I think it was over 2.5 originally. This is especially bad if you are brewing 5 gal batches.

I know exactly what your saying. I ditched those stands and bought a short support stand and converted to a bottom drain. Now its about .75 also.

In case anyone is still curious, i am brewing right now and with everything calibrated properly, my brew is looking great. Just measured 1.069 after a 75 minute mash at 152f. I have a 1.82 qt/lb ratio for grain, or 10.5lbs grain to 4.8 gallons of water.

Both my Refractometer and Hydrometer read exactly 1.069 at 76f for the runnings temp.

Next is to see how my sparge goes. Im going to stick to the recipe and only sparge with 4.25 gallons of water it is calling for, for an estimated 7.77 gallons pre-boil at 1.043. (this is beersmith set to 75% brewhouse efficiency for a 5.5 gallon batch into the fermenter). The target gravity at 75% is 1.051. I wont be upset if its a bit higher than that.

Stay tuned! Also, CLEAR WORT

DSC03483.jpg
DSC03485.jpg

Pre-boil numbers are in! 1.050 at 7.77 gallons into the kettle!! Safe to say, my estimated 75% BH Efficiency is going to be higher than expected. Seems like my problems aren't a problem for this batch!

So pumped. Thanks for everyones help on this. Stay tuned for my final gravity and volume.

If you are continuously recirculating the liquid to grain ratio is irrelevant. Gravity, flow and suction is going to hold a constant compaction level no matter how much water you use. The ratio is meant for static mashing with no recirculation like in coolers and some BIAB systems. Keep an inch or two of fluid above the grain and brew on. In a recirculating HERMS or RIMS system, you can calculate your mash liquor quantity this way:

+Fluid below false bottom
+Fluid in lines, pump and coils
+Fluid above the grain
+Grain absorption
=Total mash strike liquor quantity

Note: also use this number when calculating and mash salt and mineral adjustments

The first three will be a constant no matter the batch size or recipe, so in beersmith, you can put the sum of these into the equipment profile (or recipe) under "Mash Tun Adds" and it will do the rest for you. It will also tell you the absorption quantity based on your recipe. If you sparge until pre-boil level, the "unrecoverable" amount (what the dip tube doesn't get when draining) in your MLT, is moot.

Last edited:
If you are continuously recirculating the liquid to grain ratio is irrelevant. That ratio was meant for static mashing with no recirculation like in coolers. Keep an inch or two of fluid above the grain and brew on. In a recirculating HERMS or RIMS system, calculate of your mash liquor quantity this way:

+Fluid below false bottom
+Fluid in lines, pump and coils
+Fluid above the grain
+Grain absorption
=Total mash strike liquor quantity

Note: also use this number when calculating and mash salt and mineral adjustments

Great info, thank you.

I ended my brew at a 1.059 SG at 5.4 gallons. That gets me a 84.9% BH Efficiency. Changes i made are below:

- Drank a homebrew
- Did a full clean, service, and re-lube of my grain mill. Set gap to .036
- Calibrated my Refractometer using Distilled water at 60f
- Calibrated my Hydrometer using Distilled water at 60f
- Drank a homebrew
- Checked accuracy of my temp probe for HERMS system and analog temp probes on kettles.
- Checked PH and adjusted to stay within 5.2-5.5 - Result was 5.5ph after 11g of Gypsum addition to mash.
- Drank a homebrew
- Changed my mash technique, instead of adding grains at target mash temp for my HERMS system (8 degrees above set temp) i allowed my mash water to hit beersmith target dough in temp, and adjusted from there. This led to no need to allow grain bed to raise back to my mash temp after dough in.

That was about it. I'm excited my efficiency is up there, again. Now i'm not sure if it was ever an issue, but just my calibrations were off and i wasn't measuring properly. I'm assuming that is the case, but for now i'll just ignore the past and move forward.

EXCELLENT! Couple things i'll point out... (1) 84.9% BH is awesome, i'm guessing that mash efficiency should be near 90%, which is seriously awesome and is in the range of what a HERMS/RIMS type systems should do (i'll bet you will go even higher soon). (2) You can also use a syringe and some lactic acid to quickly drop your mash pH (beersmith can help you with this). Some recipes wont like a lot of gypsum. You may also want to start thinking about water profiles and adjusting your mash liquor before mash in. (3) Go easy on the homebrews during brewing. Trust me on this, it can cause problems. Most on this forum will probably agree with this :)

So what was the pH and SG of the end sparge running's and how long did it take to sparge?

Well done!!! Brew on

Last edited:
EXCELLENT! Couple things i'll point out... (1) 84.9% BH is awesome, i'm guessing that mash efficiency should be near 90%, which is seriously awesome and is in the range of what a HERMS/RIMS type systems should do (i'll bet you will go even higher soon). (2) You can also use a syringe and some lactic acid to quickly drop your mash pH (beersmith can help you with this). Some recipes wont like a lot of gypsum. You may also want to start thinking about water profiles and adjusting your mash liquor before mash in. (3) Go easy on the homebrews during brewing. Trust me on this, it can cause problems. Most on this forum will probably agree with this :)

So what was the pH and SG of the end sparge running's and how long did it take to sparge?

Well done!!! Brew on

I didnt take a PH reading of the end sparge or the SG of it, was happy with my numbers so i moved on. Sparge ended up at 50 minutes.

I’d spend less time worrying about efficiency and more time on consistency

Especially when brewing less than 1 barrel batches

Great info, thank you.

I ended my brew at a 1.059 SG at 5.4 gallons. That gets me a 84.9% BH Efficiency. Changes i made are below:

- Drank a homebrew
- Did a full clean, service, and re-lube of my grain mill. Set gap to .036
- Calibrated my Refractometer using Distilled water at 60f
- Calibrated my Hydrometer using Distilled water at 60f
- Drank a homebrew
- Checked accuracy of my temp probe for HERMS system and analog temp probes on kettles.
- Checked PH and adjusted to stay within 5.2-5.5 - Result was 5.5ph after 11g of Gypsum addition to mash.
- Drank a homebrew
- Changed my mash technique, instead of adding grains at target mash temp for my HERMS system (8 degrees above set temp) i allowed my mash water to hit beersmith target dough in temp, and adjusted from there. This led to no need to allow grain bed to raise back to my mash temp after dough in.

That was about it. I'm excited my efficiency is up there, again. Now i'm not sure if it was ever an issue, but just my calibrations were off and i wasn't measuring properly. I'm assuming that is the case, but for now i'll just ignore the past and move forward.

Clearly you have proven the key to efficiency is to drink at least three homebrews.

I’d spend less time worrying about efficiency and more time on consistency

Especially when brewing less than 1 barrel batches

I would agree with you, but in this case im glad I sorted this out as i've been adjusting my grain to hit original gravities, but in reality am creating much higher gravity beer than anticipated.

Most won’t do this but the best way to increase efficiency is to have a consistent process

So if you use kits buy three of the same at the same time then brew them in succession the same exact way. If you’re efficiency is the same then you know the options to increase it. On the other hand if your efficiency’s all over the place then there’s no way to know what to tweak.

Like a golf swing, if you’re going for distance but continue to use different clubs, swings, and/ or balls, you’re never improve

Plus, if you’re beer is great and you’re not selling it, then why is efficiency a concern?

Consistency will bring efficiency as a by product, in beer as it is in workouts, sales, and any other process oriented activity

Latest posts

Back