Efficiency jump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HBHoss

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My into the boiler efficiency jumped from 66% the week before to 91% this weekend. The difference was I used a Phil Mill to crush my grains. I was using a 3 roller grain mill that had very fine knurls on the rollers and it took forever to grind grain at a tight setting. A friend gave me his Phil Mill and I noticed it has a heavier knurling on the single roller. Not only did it give a good crush but it was fast too. Too bad they don't make those any more.
Really taught me how important the crush is of the grain.

That's a helluva jump! Nice job. I'd be interested to see if you get that again. That kind of efficiency will save you money down the line too, and from what I've read will increase profit margins as well :mug:

I haven't seen one of these Phil Mills before. You think you could post a picture?

mills.gif

Apparently it is "B" in the picture.

(hotlinked...hope I don't get burned!)

That's a helluva jump! Nice job. I'd be interested to see if you get that again. That kind of efficiency will save you money down the line too, and from what I've read will increase profit margins as well :mug:

I haven't seen one of these Phil Mills before. You think you could post a picture?

Here's my Phil Mill setup. It's a single roller with an adjustment screw that moves a plate towards or away from the roller, which can be changed while grinding.

Phil Mill setup1.jpg

Phil Mill setup.jpg

Back