Efficiency calculation help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TenaciousJ

Reaction score
Let me make sure I'm understanding this correctly....

Is it true to say you can calculate your OG by looking at your pre-boil volume and gravity reading? Here's an example:

I have a pre-boil volume of 6.6 gallons at 1.040. If I plan to boil down to 5 gallons, can I expect an OG of 1.052? I'm I thinking this through correctly by assuming G1*V1=G2*V2

Thanks

Okay so allow me to take this a step further. Let's say I have a recipe that has a target OG of 1.055 assuming 80% efficiency. I'm getting 70% efficiency. If my pre-boil volume was 7 gallons of 1.033 wort, then I would need to boil my wort down to 4.2 gallons to achieve my target OG. The only other option would be to up my grain bill if I didn't want to boil it down that much OR increase my efficiency by 10% either through better crush, mash, etc...

am i on track?

Okay so allow me to take this a step further. Let's say I have a recipe that has a target OG of 1.055 assuming 80% efficiency. I'm getting 70% efficiency. If my pre-boil volume was 7 gallons of 1.033 wort, then I would need to boil my wort down to 4.2 gallons to achieve my target OG. The only other option would be to up my grain bill if I didn't want to boil it down that much OR increase my efficiency by 10% either through better crush, mash, etc...

am i on track?

Sounds good to me.

Back