Effects on wort volume from extract syrup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dabrews

Reaction score
I've been brewing both extract and all grain for about 7 years but one thing I've never really considered before is the actual LME syrup throwing off my target wort volume post boil. 6.6 lbs of syrup looks to be at least a half gallon of material (80% solids, 20% liquid) that is being added into the already calculated volume of brewing water. Do any of you people adjust your target post-boil volume based on the addition of extract??

I've been brewing both extract and all grain for about 7 years but one thing I've never really considered before is the actual LME syrup throwing off my target wort volume post boil. 6.6 lbs of syrup looks to be at least a half gallon of material (80% solids, 20% liquid) that is being added into the already calculated volume of brewing water. Do any of you people adjust your target post-boil volume based on the addition of extract??

Yes, you need to take the volume of the extract into account.

Thanks Yooper. Thats crazy that I've never taken that into account but my OG's and volumes are always on target. I've also never read about this in any of my brew books

Latest posts

Back