Effects on clarity of repitched yeast after using gelatin?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

margoye

Reaction score
Dear all,

I’m currently brewing a Lager (Pilsner), completed fermentation, including diacetyl rest, and the beer is currently lagering at 2ºC (35ºF) for the next 3-4 weeks. I intend to use gelatin to promote beer clarity, which I’ll add a couple of days before the end of the lagering period.

Nonetheless, once the above is completed, I need to bottle condition the beer for which I will add the bottle conditioning dry yeast CBC-1 from Lallemand (following the indicated quantity and temp requirements). I do this to compensate for any yeast loss, consequence of gelatin treatment and because I don’t want to extend unnecessarily the conditioning time to leave it work with the little yeast that will be left in there.

The question I have is how will repitching yeast affect beer clarity after the gelatin treatment? Will it become hazy again? Will the yeast drop out of suspension once conditioning completed? Or will the yeast quantity be so minimal that the effects will be barely noticeable?

Thanks for your feedback.

Best regards,
Marcel

I've used CBC-1 with a variety of ales and lagers to bottle condition and keg condition. It drops out nicely and doesn't seem to impact clarity.

FWIW, plan to add the gelatin to your lagering vessel at least 5 days before you rack. I'm not sure what you mean by "a couple of days before the end of the lagering period" but 5 or more days gives the gelatin ample time to clear out the beer.

Thanks for the useful feedback. Also, good tip on the timeframe for the gelatin to act. I was intentionally vague about it since I hadn't really informed myself enough yet about to exact numbers of days it would need, except that it should be towards the end of the process.

Back