Effect of sludge from boil in fermenter ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
I recently brewed an IPA. When I was racking the cooled wort into the fermenter my ball valve got stuck - I assume with a lump of hops - so I ended up pouring the last bit of wort into the fermenter. The sludge / hops in the bottom ended up going in as well.
Will this have any effect on the final product ?

Many people allow all the trub & hops to go into the fermenter. IMO it must in some way change the final output however without doing a real side by side comparison I don't know how you could tell which is better. I think you will be fine and have a good batch of beer when done. I usually have the trub/break material in my fermenter without hops which were contained in a hop bag during boil.

Well I use a immersian chiller and when it is cool I use my sanitized auto shipon and rack it....before that, EIther I just dumped everything in, without straining, just pour it in the bucket or in the funnel....Or I would use a big strainer that fit in the funnel for a carboy, or a sanitized 5 gallon nylon paint strainer bag in the bucket...

Many people don't bother straining at all..sometimes I don't bother....It really doesn't matter...anything will settle.

In other words, there is no wrong way to do it, or better way, or way that will make the best beer...they all work...the choice is what will work the best for you.

What I do with my IC, is chill the wort, then I lean the bottom of my autosiphon about two coils up from the bottom on the metal of the siphon. That rests it above most of the break material and trub, then I rack it to the fermenter until I'm down to that and carefully lower the siphon down into the gunk, just trying to get as much of the wort as possible without letting in the hops and break matter.

I dump it all in. It settles very quickly. No ill effect that I have noticed.

Back