Effect of combining Lager/Ale Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spinoza

Reaction score
Please comment on following:

I am considering combining Wyeast California Lager 2112 with an Ale yeast like Nottingham and ferment at the low/mid 60's F.
(Assume it is for a medium gravity "hybrid amber" all-grain recipe).

Possible Advantages:
1) Unlike ale yeast, addition of Lager yeast could break down trisaccharides maltotriose and raffinose which some say can represent up to 10-18% of wort sugar.

2) Nottingham would give high flocculation/attenuation.

I guess my question is:
Would breaking down trisaccharides with W2112 change the flavor profile versus Notty alone ?

================
Typical wort sugar profile (from John Palmer's book) :

Maltose: 50%
Maltotriose: 18%(tri-saccaride of 3 glucoses)
Glucose: 10%
Sucrose: 8%
Fructrose: 2%
Unfermentable Sugars: 12%

well for one thing the high flocculation would only apply to the Nottingham not the 2112. unless of course the 2112 was also high flocculating. invariably one of the yeast strains will dominated and squeeze out the other just like in any yeast mixing. its my understanding that lager yeast only eat one kind of sugar that ale yeasts don't and that that sugar is not found in wort. i could be wrong on that point.

For one thing, 2112 is not a true lager yeast. For another, it;s likely that the Nott would overtake the 2112 and do the bulk of the fermentation. Combining yeasts leads to unpredictable results.

F it and try it out and then post about it. Make one batch and split it up and pitch a pack of notty and pitch the combination of the 2 yeasts. It sounds interesting enough. I am sure it has been done before.

For one thing, 2112 is not a true lager yeast.

For another, it;s likely that the Nott would overtake the 2112 and do the bulk of the fermentation. Combining yeasts leads to unpredictable results.

Wyeast 2112: California Lager™ is described as a Lager Yeast:
http://www.wyeastlab.com/com_b_yeaststrain_detail.cfm?ID=131

Maybe I should use twice the amount of Wyeast 2112 with Notty,
then would flavor profile be different vs Notty alone ?

if you have never used the 2112 you arnt going to learn much
it is a wonderfull yeast i keep it on hand all the time, it ferments fast and really clean its a lot like the kolsh yeast but faster, its a great yeast that could be use to make all sorts of clean ales and lagers. however i dont see how it would be any beniffet to add the notty
haveing used both yeast alot
@60f 2112 will act just like notty @70 but a hair cleaner and a week slower to clear

i believe white labs cream ale blend, is a combined ale yeast with a lager yeast

Back