Eelgerg's 10 rhizome hop farm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eelgerg

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Posting some pics of my hop farm. 10 rhizomes planted on June 21st. Two weeks in and they are all growing. This came as a surprise as I bought the rhizomes fro. HOOH in Lillooet, BC in April, and due to changes in my plans, had to be stored in a fridge for two months until I finally decided to plant them in 5 gal planters. They had varying degrees of mild on them so after a quick gentle bath they were all planted and are taking off now!!!
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436423623.140620.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436423639.612267.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436423650.156070.jpgView attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436423679.658526.jpg

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436423662.590806.jpg
    384.4 KB · Views: 100
- Using 20-20-20 fertilizer every two weeks.
- added mushroom compost to the soil during planting.
- working on my trellis system right now.
- wondering if I should add mulch to the pots, and what kind? (Is plain grass or leaves mulch ok)?

Something to keep in mind is that it's very easy to overwater new hops in pots. I killed a couple this year that I had started in pots.

Contrats! Are you going to put them in the ground before winter?

Genacide- thanks for the tip. I currently water every second day, and they get LOTS of hot sun - enough that I suspect the pots almost dry out between watering a, but really likely just stay moist down below and dry on top.

I'm not planning on putting them in the ground this year. Likely pits again. I had a farm where I was going to plant these in the ground but that didn't pan out. Ground where I live is not very good.

Any recommendations for mulch type?

Back