Edinburgh liquid yeast????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cosmicbrew

Reaction score
I pitched my Primed edinburgh yeast two days ago into my wee heavy scotch wort, and the yeast started their work quickly, and violently. Today there is very little action.

I think I aerated the wort enough. There are definitely enough sugars in the wort. The temp is right at 70 degrees.

Should I be worried?

Nope you have no worries.

The best way to gauge fermentation is to take gravity readings 2 or 3 days in a row. If the gravity is the same then you know the yeast is finished however, it may be a good idea to leave the beer on the yeast to "finish" for about a full 3 weeks or so.

The yeast will continue to "clean up" their work for several days after they have eaten all the sugars.

Thanks for the reply! I'll take your suggestion and take some gravity readings in the next few days. I knew that the fermentation would be vigorous, but man, talk about a two pump chump :D

my starting gravity was 1.072. this should be a big beer hopefully, and this is my first "original" recipe. Thanks again!

Let it sit for 3 weeks before you start taking your readings. The fermentation has only slowed down so taking reading now is only a waste of good beer.

Back