Edelmetall Bru Burner - Propane efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfdav

Reaction score
I just brewed my first batch on my new outdoor setup, consisting of the NB Edelmetall burner and a NB 10gal Megapot. Just 5 gal extract for now, but we bought to handle some all grain in the future.

All went well, but it seems like I used a crap-ton of propane. We started with a full Blue Rhino 15lb tank, and when finished the sweat ring was below the halfway mark - which I assume means we used over a half of the tank.

We got the 5.5 gal up to a boil, added the ingredients, and backed off a bit (using the regulator) when it almost boiled over. Brought it back up to a mild boil and left it there. Looked like a nice blue flame except for when the wind picked up. Needle valve was wide open and the damper looked to be about 50%.

I couldn't really find any great info on how to tweak these things. Is this normal propane usage or am I doing something stupid?

kit.jpg

I use 5.5gal as well when I brew with the same propane burner (Blichmann though), the tank will last me at least 6 batches.

You shouldn't need the needle valve 100% open ever with that amount of wort.

Search for the instructions for the Blichmann to get an idea of how to set the flame right.

Send it my way, I'll review and get back to you.
Slightly off topic, but how do you like it? I was thinking about adding it to my Christmas list.

Good idea to DL the instructions for the Blichmann - probably the same procedure. Here's hoping I can adjust it for a bit more efficiency.

It also looks like Blue Rhino uses 20# tanks filled with only 15# of gas, so less than half the tank left visually doesn't necessarily mean less than half the gas...

I have only brewed one batch with it so far, but the combination of the burner and the pot make things a hell of a lot easier than doing things in the kitchen. It looks well built, and it provides good heat (it seems). I got the leg extensions to keep from bending over and assist with gravity transfers to my fermenter. So far - liking it quite a bit. Just need to see what the propane costs me. :)

I take my tanks to the local Uhaul to refill and get 2 extra boils out of them compared to trading them in at Blue Rhino.
I've been told they only fill maybe 75% due to transportation laws in many states. Sounds fishy but I know I pay $18 for a trade in vs. $19 for a fill at Uhaul and it's worth it.

There was a lawsuit some time ago regarding the fill on blue rhino tanks. They were filling to 15# but keeping the standard 20# label so they could charge less compared to the competition. When they were called on it they opted to relabel at 15# and keep the lower price rather than give a full capacity fill. Now everyone fills to 15# so the pricing is closer. If you want a full 20#, you'll have to go somewhere that refills rather than exchange. Uhaul is popular. I get my refills at the local exxon station and they fill until it's spraying out of the coupling.

Back