eBIAB concept - please review

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mwill07

Reaction score
here's my basic thoughts:

1. use a keggle as the pot, considering inverted so that it's bottom draining. Still not sure if this is a good idea or not.

2. heating element: Blichmann Boil Coil 15.

Plug_pins.jpg

3. grain bag goes inside a fryer basket, which will sit on the floor of the keggle, inside the boilcoil.

vollrath-68290-wear-ever-replacement-boiler-fryer-basket-for-68269-11-1-4-x-10-7-8.jpg

I confirmed from Blichmann the ID of the boil coil is ~12.6". The fryer basket will have an OD of less than 11.5", so it will fit. The basket will keep the bag off of the coil, to prevent scorching. It might good to come up with some sort of spacer to keep the basket centered.

A couple rough calculations: 20 lbs of grain would fill the bag in the fryer basket about 8.7". 8.75 gallons of water would be about 10.75" (accounting for grain absorption), and would result in 6.25 gallons of wort, pre-boil. So, a set-up like this would have capacity to handle 5 gallons of big beer.

If I wanted to do a 10 gallon batch, I would likely need some sort of spacer to keep the top of the basket above water line, but that should be a pretty simple thing to rig.

One thing I'm missing is how deep the temp sensor protrudes into the keg - need to make sure that the basket has clearance from that.

one concern: the basket is aluminum....less good than SS. any issue with mixing metals?

Thanks!

No major issue with Aluminum, boil it for 30+ minutes before the first brew.

If you don't want to use the keggle, a 10-15 gallon AL kettle is pretty cheap and it will have a lid.

I don't use the basket technique and after the first couple batches I decide to insulate the kettle rather than trying to heat an recirculate during the mash. I use a 15 gal kettle and can do 11-12 gallon batches of normal gravity AG beer.

No major issue with Aluminum, boil it for 30+ minutes before the first brew.

If you don't want to use the keggle, a 10-15 gallon AL kettle is pretty cheap and it will have a lid.

I don't use the basket technique and after the first couple batches I decide to insulate the kettle rather than trying to heat an recirculate during the mash. I use a 15 gal kettle and can do 11-12 gallon batches of normal gravity AG beer.

good point. I could always audible and decide not to actively heat if I ran into trouble - no harm, no foul. Still, it would be nice to add a pump and recirc.

Still, a set-up like this looks to be pretty damn clean. As soon as I have two nickels I can rub together, I'll be hooking this up.

I don't think the basket is need. The watt density is so low on the boil coil that it won't burn the bag.

I plan on having a very similar eBIAB system. Currently have a 10G BoilerMaker G1 and the 240V BoilCoil. A Tower of Power arrived for my birthday, so now I have the controller system.

I was worried about the BoiCoil scorching the bag during the mash, so it's good to hear that's not a problem. Eventually I plan to recirculate with a pump.

I'm considering a SS basket from arborfab.com to replace the bag, but I'm going to test the wilser bag without the screen first.

jwalkermed, I'm actually from Boerne, so small world!

bump. I think I'm going to start on building this over Christmas. Anyone see any issues here?

Again - the key elements are: Blichmann Boilcoil, bottom drain keggle, BIAB.

motivation: significantly reduce brew day time without sacrificing quality.

BTW: I didn't mention above, but I'm planning on draining from the bottom, thru a custom built CFC and directly into the fermentor. I will use a hop spider to contain the hops, but all trub will pass thru.

Thanks!

I don't see any issues, but personally I would skip the Blichmann and just go with a ULWD heating element, and skip the basket and use the bag with some type of drying rack or pizza tray to keep the bag off of the element. That said, your brewery, your call. :)

I don't see any issues, but personally I would skip the Blichmann and just go with a ULWD heating element, and skip the basket and use the bag with some type of drying rack or pizza tray to keep the bag off of the element. That said, your brewery, your call. :)

Already has the boil coil and controller... Plus, I'm not so sure how one would mount a element in a bottom drain keggle without it being a little high for biab.

I am in the process of building a bottom drain keggle for my HLT/BK combo (cooler MT) and I thought about the boil coil, but I am running a false bottom on mine to catch proteins and hop sludge from the boil. Having to remove the element to remove the false bottom was a deal breaker for me.

I am in the process of building a bottom drain keggle for my HLT/BK combo (cooler MT) and I thought about the boil coil, but I am running a false bottom on mine to catch proteins and hop sludge from the boil. Having to remove the element to remove the false bottom was a deal breaker for me.

yeah, in my concept, I'm not planning having a false bottom. The hops will stay in a hop spider, and the break material will all go into the fermenter. It will all settle out there anyways, so no biggie (as far as I can tell).

Already has the boil coil and controller... Plus, I'm not so sure how one would mount a element in a bottom drain keggle without it being a little high for biab.

I haven't bought anything yet. I have an old, uncut keg, but that's it.

but your first point is correct - not sure how else to do an ekeggle and BIAB with a 5 gallon batch, bottom drain or not.

looks like this is almost exactly what I'm trying to do here. My only difference is making it a bottom drain, but that's really not that big of a deal.

considering just buying from highgravity directly, but that would take all of the fun out of it.

I'm not opposed to shopping around, thanks for the suggestion.

These guys, by the way, end up being about the same as high gravity when you include the chugger SS pump and the control box (@ 15 gal & 240V).
I get that, but I feel for the money a basket is a better idea than a bag. Just my $0.02.

I get that, but I feel for the money a basket is a better idea than a bag. Just my $0.02.

I hear ya.

A downside to the cobrewingsystem rig is the control box doesn't have controls for the pump. That's something I'm gonna need.

I hear ya.

A downside to the cobrewingsystem rig is the control box doesn't have controls for the pump. That's something I'm gonna need.

I agree, I have this system and love it but another $15 to add pump switching would have been awesome.
I simply made a switch box that sits next to my controller. I could just plug it in but where's the fun in that?

To your original post, a keggle with a 15" diameter and a basket with an 11" diameter will leave a rather large volume of wort outside the basket, not ideal IMO. Best if the bag or basket lines the kettle as completely as possible. This becomes more problematic the heavier the grain bill as the mash gets thicker and thicker toward impossible.

I have close to an inch all the wayaround my basket, no issues. I think the basket can be said to be a successful method. Mash thickness is not an issue, it's still a whole lot thinner than traditional mashing. I would say that recirculating is needed with a basket

I have close to an inch all the wayaround my basket, no issues. I think the basket can be said to be a successful

Yes I agree, however the OP proposed a basket 4" smaller than the keggle diameter with also some dead space underneath....with a high gravity batch I'm afraid you may approach or find the pinch point.

Christmas tree remote, been using this for a couple years with zero issues.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001DF2QDK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

the switch isn't the problem, it's the outlet.

My plan is to build a cart to contain the whole eBIAB system that I can simply wheel onto my back patio. I want the whole thing to be as clean as possible; I don't want to have multiple extension cords running around.

call it a matter of personal preference.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes I agree, however the OP proposed a basket 4" smaller than the keggle diameter with also some dead space underneath....with a high gravity batch I'm afraid you may approach or find the pinch point.

gotchya.... missed that. A basket that small you may have a hard time doing a regular gravity batch

in theory, the only dead space beneath the basket is what is inside the bottom-drain plumbing.

Thinking this thru a little more, this is a matter of trade-offs:

• boil coil & basket will have dead space between basket and wall of keggle
  • traditional heating element below false bottom will have dead space beneath false bottom.

the key to brewing with a basket either mesh or bag in a basket is recirculation. I think it's necessary.

Latest posts

Back