eBay tap handle - should I be ticked?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

badandy519

Reaction score
Looking for opinions... Bought some tap handles recently on eBay. One new, 3 used; all for around the same price. Two of the used came in exactly as described (imo) "used, in very good to excellent condition".

The third one - I am not happy with in the least. Two of the pics on this one were kind of dim, not bright and you can't see that much detail, even when zooming in. The listing specifically said: "This tap was used for a weekend event only and may show some wear, overall in very good condition. Please see pics for more details"

Anywho, I am now emailing back and forth with the seller. Do I have a legitimate gripe or do you feel it is close to as described in the auction? (edit: these are my pics, btw... not the auction pics)

The seller does have a 99.9% feedback rating, however the one negative states exactly this:

Beware!!!! Avoid!!! You can not depend on his written description.

Have you tried cleaning it with a little vinegar and salt? It just looks a little dirty/tarnished to me.

Have you tried cleaning it with a little vinegar and salt? It just looks a little dirty/tarnished to me.

I understand I can clean it up some and probably have it look ok from 5 feet.

The plate with the Magic Hat swirl and text is slightly bent a bunch of different ways but it's hard to capture in the pics. The back appears to have been re-soldered at some point and basically it's not just a "used one weekend" item. That's what annoys me the most.

The handle is only $50 new on Vermont brewing. I paid about $32+$6 shipping. I figured that was a pretty good deal for slightly used. Now I rather would have just bought the new one.

Oh, I was thinking this was a $20 total purchase. Cleaning recommendation removed, and refund advised hahah.

Yeah, and the seller is being difficult about that because it's outside the return time of the listing. I didn't open any of them right away, as I had no use for them yet. I put them on a shelf and just opened everything the other night now that I'm getting my keezer project closer to finished and wanted to see how the handles looked on the taps.

For reference, here are the other two that I paid right around $30 for and I am completely happy with the condition. The front side of the Heineken is fine, that's just glare in the pic. The minor scratches in the green on the back side were clearly showed in the listing and I'm fine with that since it's on the backside. The Molson is almost flawless except for a few specks in the ceramic that you can barely even see.

I get that - especially if the item came as advertised... or something close to it. I just feel that this is so far off that the seller intentionally did not describe it correctly.

I buy a bunch of stuff off eBay; new and used. Some people are a little slow in shipping and whatnot, but this is the first time I've ever thought about disputing something. That's why I was asking opinions on if it's justified or not.

I get that - especially if the item came as advertised... or something close to it. I just feel that this is so far off that the seller intentionally did not describe it correctly.

I buy a bunch of stuff off eBay; new and used. Some people are a little slow in shipping and whatnot, but this is the first time I've ever thought about disputing something. That's why I was asking opinions on if it's justified or not.

I hear you my friend I buy lots of stuff off ebay and have been a user of ebay since 2000 I open everything I get when I get it and check to be sure it is as stated

if it is not right and you used paypal you have 45 days

all the best

S_M

I hear you my friend I buy lots of stuff off ebay and have been a user of ebay since 2000 I open everything I get when I get it and check to be sure it is as stated

if it is not right and you used paypal you have 45 days

all the best

S_M

Actually they upped that to six months now instead of 45 days. Definitely would file a dispute with PayPal.

you should always be ticked. keeps the blood flowing and keeps people out of your work area. any revolution would never have happened if people weren't ticked. wait... what are we talking about?

I'd say you missed the deadline to be ticked. Personally, I don't think it looks that bad, but if you're unhappy about it, leave a detailed review and be on your way.

Latest posts

Back