easy first all grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sportscrazed2

Reaction score
I have all the equipment for all grain but i have only done 3 extract batches and the last one i did was probably 4 months ago. what would be something cheap and easy for a first all grain so that i don't lose too much money if it sucks. also what has the longest shelflife since i'm on a diet that only allows a little beer

Centennial Blonde was my first all grain batch and my first 10g all grain batch. It is an inexpensive and easy recipe to brew with the added bonus of being ready in about two weeks if you keg :mug:

Wheats are also really cheap and seem to always come out great, and are very forgiving as far as clarity, etc (i.e. you don't really care ;-). Throw in the peel of a whole sweet orange for kicks - comes out great! They are also ready to drink very quickly.

Simple Hefeweizen:
5 lb White Wheat
5 lb 2-row (or Vienna, or any other base malt)
1 oz of your favorite hops
Hef or other wheat yeast (or whatever yeast you have on hand)

Also, consider doing BIAB if this is your first all-grain. Very similar to a mini-mash or even steeping grains (just a little more control in temps required), and you can do it in a $3 5 gallon paint strainer bag from Home Depot. Though it sounds like perhaps you already have a MLT?

For my first AG (second batch) I did NB Irish Red with 2 extra pounds of 2 row. It was perfect. Missed gravity by 10 points. But still has malty goodness :)

I vote for Haus Pale Ale, (do a quick search.) It was one of my first all grain batches, and though I thought I made a half dozen errors, it turned out great. Not sure of shelf life or calories, but it's a yummy, simple brew.

Not hefeweizen. Those are meant to be drunk young.

If you want something simple that'll be good for a long time, I'd suggest an american amber ale. If it winds up on the sweet side, you call it a brown ale. If it winds up on the bitter side, you call it an ipa. If you make it "right", it's an american amber.

I vote for Haus Pale Ale, (do a quick search.) It was one of my first all grain batches, and though I thought I made a half dozen errors, it turned out great. Not sure of shelf life or calories, but it's a yummy, simple brew.

Ed's Haus Pale was my first AG brew and I couldn't have been happier with that choice. Great recipe - especially for summer drinking. It's also a fairly quick fermenter.

Not hefeweizen. Those are meant to be drunk young.

If you want something simple that'll be good for a long time, I'd suggest an american amber ale. If it winds up on the sweet side, you call it a brown ale. If it winds up on the bitter side, you call it an ipa. If you make it "right", it's an american amber.

Hehe, helps if I read the whole post rather than the first sentence :eek:.

Agreed, Hef won't have the long shelf life you are looking for. An amber/APA would fit the bill well, just make it session strength for lower calories.

Latest posts

Back