Easy 1 gallon batches?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Are there extract recipes on this site for 1 gallons?

All recipes are for 1 gallons, if you divide them up. They scale pretty well, so if you see a recipe for 5 gallons, you can just cut it by 1/5 and get good results.

Extract usually comes in 1 pound increments, for dry, and in 3.3 pounds for canned LME so that might make it tricky if you want to use liquid extract. Dry is no problem to store- just twistie tie the bag and place it in a ziploc bag and keep it in a cool dry place. So if you have some leftover, that's the way to do it.

Some stores only sell specialty grains by the pound, so you may find that to be the limiting factor.

1 gallon all grain is so easy and simple it is something to consider. Extract will be a lot less complicated and shorter brew day but the BBS kits are an amazing way to get your feet wet

I just don't wanna go out and get a mash tun if for some strange reason I wouldn't like brewing the nectar of the gods

I just don't wanna go out and get a mash tun if for some strange reason I wouldn't like brewing the nectar of the gods

That's crazy talk! :D

Seriously, I've never done BIAB, but that'd be the way to go for 1 gallon batches. You just need a mesh bag and a pot that can hold +/- 3 gallons. It would be more steps than extract, but probably easier in the long run in some ways.

Ok sounds like a plan after my wedding sept 29th when I hard money again, ill do a gallon BIAB all grain... Gonna start out might as well do the advanced technique first

1 Gallon BIAB Smash recipes are an easy and inexpensive way to get your feet wet. Plus you will have great tasting beer at the end.

Just type in SMASH on search button and begin your research.

What do you use to ferment 1 gal batches? I only have the larger 6.5 fermenter but would be cool to do a couple 1 gal batches while the "main" 5 gal is doing it's thing... Plus i have 3 growlers that I could bottle the 1 gal batches with -- seems like a great idea.

I use 1 gallon jugs for fermentation. First couple days use a blow off tube then throw the airlock on. I know some on here use 2 gallon buckets too.

What do you use to ferment 1 gal batches? I only have the larger 6.5 fermenter but would be cool to do a couple 1 gal batches while the "main" 5 gal is doing it's thing... Plus i have 3 growlers that I could bottle the 1 gal batches with -- seems like a great idea.

I use a 1 gallon glass jug. Like the kind that apple juice comes in. The key note about this is that you have limited headspace, so a blow off tube is really important. I put my blow off tube into a gallon milk jug full of Easy Clean. Then I swap to a 3 piece airlock once the krausen recedes. Edit: Looks like lomcevak beat me to it :)

I started off with a Brooklyn Brew Shop, and did a few 1 Gallon BIAB batches before moving on to bigger. I used the 1 gallon carboys you can get at the Homebrew store. Plus they are fairly cheap if I recall. Even though I dont use them much I keep a couple of them for experiments and things like Cider, and recently yeast starters.

I still primarily do 3-4 gallon allgrain BIAB using two 5 gallon BKs. it's more work I'm sure but I dont really have the cash to upgrade. Sadly I've been doing extract lately as it cuts about an hour from my brew day.

I do 2 gallon batches, BIAB. Ferment in HD 2 gallon paint buckets, mash in a 5 gallon cooler. Check out the video for how simple the method is.

Last edited by a moderator:
i always do 1 gallon batches for test samples, like others said divide any recipes by 5 and make sure you do a blow off tube other wise youll end up with a mess. you can get about 8 bottles out of a 1 gallon batch which is perfect for samples and practice for hitting OG and kitchen brews.

i always do 1 gallon batches for test samples, like others said divide any recipes by 5 and make sure you do a blow off tube other wise youll end up with a mess. you can get about 8 bottles out of a 1 gallon batch which is perfect for samples and practice for hitting OG and kitchen brews.

I started back into brewing with 1 gallon batches for exactly these reasons. I wanted to get some good practice in, play around with recipes and learn. When I get some great recipes perfected, I'll consider scaling up.

I really like the convenience of working in my kitchen, too.

Back