Early Taste of Oktoberfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wardens355

Reaction score
I brewed a 10 gallon batch of Oktoberfest about 6 weeks ago and used Wyeast 2206 with half, WLP 838 with the other half. I transferred to kegs 2 weeks ago and began lagering. I just started a new project to reduce my serving line lengths by using 1/8" tubing, and decided to try it out on my Oktoberfest. Well, might as well take a taste (although it is about 4-6 weeks earlier than I think they'll be ready). The Wy2206 batch has a crayon-like smell and a curious taste that I can't put my finger on. The WLP838 is much more tame, but obviously needs more time. When fermenting at 48-50F, the ferm-fridge smelt pleasantly of sulfides/farty pants, and I am not sure how that translates to taste, but I will be giving this beer another month plus before taking another sip. First adventure into brewing lager and looking forward to what this baby tastes like after proper time.

How big were your starters? Lagers are quite unforgiving of poor yeast practices/underpitching. While some sulfur is normal, excessive amounts of H2S indicate stressed yeast.

The off-flavors you're tasting after 6 weeks aren't going to disappear with lagering. Lagering really just precipitates out all yeast and some proteins/polyphenols, producing a moderate increase in smooth character. It doesn't change the fundamental taste of the beer.

If done right, a standard gravity lager like an O-fest can be done and served in 3 weeks at > 95% of it's potential. Lagering after this adds a touch more smoothness, but the difference is difficult to detect.

I pitched yeast from a 2.5L starter. I am going to try periodically bubbling in CO2 through the dip tube to try and strip out any volatiles, but it may just be lesson learned and review of procedure. I'll fine with gelatin as last resort just to see the effect, unless the flavor improves over the next couple weeks.

Latest posts

Back