Early morning brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokebucket

Reaction score
Not quite 8 and I am half way thru the boil. I am in the boat that if it doesnt get done before the kids wake up, it probably aint going to get done. Anybody else brewing this morning???

btw, it's a batch of west coast blaster from BCS. Everybody raves about this recipe.

Congrats. Hopefully someday I'll be able to do that. With a 3-year-old and 8-week-old, I'd need to get up at 3am!

JusBiz said:
Congrats. Hopefully someday I'll be able to do that. With a 3-year-old and 8-week-old, I'd need to get up at 3am!

I hear ya! I have a 2&1/2 yr old and an 8 week old! Luckily I have a very understanding wife. Brewed right before the baby was born and hopefully brewing this or next weekend

hahaha! yessir! our 3 y/o is now six & our young one will be 3 in January. I had done a few extra early morning brews myself. took the baby monitor out to the garage. :rockin:

gonna dough in tomorrow about 5 AM, sans the monitor. still not sure on the grain bill & hop schedule, but gonna use ECY04.

I have a 5 yr old and a 2 1/2 wk old. Brewed Thursday morning after taking the 5 yr old to school and was done just after lunch. SWMBO brought the baby out to hang out with me in the garage. Did the same thing last week during baby's first week home. Makes a man happy!

I have 4 daughters aged 5-12. I like to brew early on the weekend, get up around 6 and be done by lunch time. That way the rest of the day is still open to family stuff.

I brew as early as possible when I brew because it takes me like 5 hrs total on average and I like to start in the morning and be done in the morning and still have a weekend.

I do almost all my brews in the early morning. I get up early to milk, feed and water all the animals and the rest of the family sleeps in on weekends. I don't have to step around anyone in the kitchen and have a chance to clean everything up before SWMBO gets up.

I got into homebrewing when I found myself at home all the time with first my son, and then twin daughters a few years later. I'd stay up late to get going, but now I get up at 6am to start. Sometimes I'll fill the pot the night before so I can stumble downstairs, turn on the burner, and then make coffee.

My kids are now 20, 17 and 17. The 20 year old likes my brew. The girls prefer wine. None of them have ever had more than one of anything, even the 20 year old in college. (He's also a flight instructor, so drinking is basically a no-no.)

My brews start at 7am and I am back home by no later than 3pm.

I don't have to worry about the kids but I like to get it done with early and enjoy the rest of my day without obligations.

I have a 3 y/o son and a 1 y/o daughter. Brewing is tough to squeeze in and I do like to start early. However, for my last few brews I've taken the following schedule with quite a bit of success.

**My normal brew process takes about 4-5 hours - all grain**

Friday evening, after dinner in the garage, start the brewing process. Get the water going, grind the grain. Once at temp, put in mash ton, go play with kids for 60-90 mins. Then drain to kettle and sparge, cover the kettle and forget about it. Hang out with the wife, etc.

Sat. morning kick on the burner and start the boil....and complete. Takes about 2 hrs Friday night (most of that is wait time) and 2.5 hours on Sat. morning. For me, with my family, it's easier for the wife and I to manage the monkeys with two smaller chunks of time taken for brewing rather than leaving her to manage for 4+ hours alone.

I have a 2 year old and a 16 month old. I start heating my strike water at 7, put them to bed at 8 and go from there. Late nights are easier to me than early mornings.

West coast blaster is a great recipe think about dry hopping.

I hear great things about it....I appreciate the advise (on dry hopping), but I really dont want to screw with a good recipe without sampling the original first.

Latest posts

Back