Early Morning Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm up too. Just mashed in on my American Amber. It's my first recipe that I consider really damn good and am repeating what worked for the first time today. Wish me luck!

I meant to post this yesterday morning at 545am as I was heating strike water for MO-Willamette SMaSH.
Great day for brewing in Northern Vermont.
Miserable rain, mid 40's.
87% mash eff
78% brewhouse!

My best ever!

I wish I was because it would have been the perfect day for it. Today it's 40 deg. (up from -20) and *sniff* there is no Packer football to distract me. Next weekend, though!

This has probably been the smoothest brew day yet. Slight chill in the air, no distractions, and grits and coffee for breakfast.

Gotta love the early morning :mug:

Brewed yesterday afternoon (boooooo) because I was doing a wort share contest at local brewery. Even with the late start, things still went smooth (yeah!)

Definitely not converting me to early morning brewing though.

Mornin', early birds! I had planned to get up at 4:00 and get going, but somehow woke up 45 minutes early, so here I am. Strike water is heating for my latest batch of Jim's Oatmeal Stout.

Nice, Jon. I woke up late (still recovering from the flu). Started my Scottish 80/- around 6:40 AM. Getting ready to sparge!

Ugh. Having an enormously frustrating brewday. Struggled with the mash temp, struggled with the mash pH, struggled with the pump, and SWMBO came down to the kitchen to give me the evil eye about something.

Hopefully I've exhausted my glitch quota for the day. Guess I'm paying the price for all those smooth perfect brewdays I've had recently.

Yup. Just finished shoveling my 9" getting ready to weigh out my grains and get the strike water heating. Then have to clean and sanitize a corny, transfer my chocolate cherry bock, and finish off the corny of hefeweizen. Snow days off are nice. Aside from the whole shoveling part.

******edit******
Just saw last post was 23h ago. Still within a 24hr period anyway. Lolol. I'm night shift anyway so my days are always screwed up anyway.

Early morning brews, +10.
Good morning, just noticed this thread. It's 8:35 and 2 degrees here. I'm doing a
Munich Helles and it's 25 minutes into a 90 minute boil. For me, early mornings on
Sunday are the best. When some do get up, they go to church. Me on the other
hand; I make and partake of the sacrament, communion and etc.. in my garage.

I love brewing in the morning. It's so great to have everything cleaned up and put away by lunchtime and still have half the day left to do other stuff.

There are a few drawbacks (gotta take it easy on beer the night before, can't really drink beer while brewing at 9:00 am without attracting judging looks from the wife and neighbors, and worst of all, this time of year it's considerably colder at 6:00 AM than it is at 2:00 PM), but they're usually worth it, in my opinion.

I love brewing in the morning. It's so great to have everything cleaned up and put away by lunchtime and still have half the day left to do other stuff.

There are a few drawbacks (gotta take it easy on beer the night before, can't really drink beer while brewing at 9:00 am without attracting judging looks from the wife and neighbors, and worst of all, this time of year it's considerably colder at 6:00 AM than it is at 2:00 PM), but they're usually worth it, in my opinion.

I agree, been doing early morning brews recently, it is so nice to be done by 12. I find the day easier too, less distractions that early. I typically filter my water the night before and set everything up. Being electric herms, I dump the water in and can go upstairs while it is heating and the same for the mash.

Oh yeah, and definitely do some prep work the night before:

Filter and Collect water
Add any mineral editions
Measure and Grind grain
Add rice hulls
Calibrate pH Meter
Sanitize Carboy
Sanitize O2 wand
Pull out all my needed equipment

Makes the brew day go by so much quicker.

Same here. My brewing stand breaks down and tucks neatly away in a corner. (SWMBO likes that part). The night before, I pull the stand out of the corner and set it up, and put the burner in its proper position, and I bring all the wrenches and other tools I need out to the garage. And I do all my figures (mash volume, Bru'n Water calculations, etc.), measure out the RO water additions, and the write out a schedule for the recipe, which I stick to the brewstand with a magnet (something like: 60 - 1.00 oz of EKG; 15 - IC and whirlifloc; 10 - 1.00 oz Saaz).

That way, the next morning it's just pour the water in the kettle and turn the burner on.

I love early morning brewing. I actually split up my brew day. Mash at night, prep ingredients and equipment for the boil. Program coffee maker.

Heat up wort to 190 after I pull the bag (BIAB) , put in oven preheated to 170. Go to bed around midnight.

Wake up at 6:30 the next morning. Wort is generally sitting at around 155. Start boil, drink coffee. Everything cleaned up and done by 10:30.

Love it.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Home Brew mobile app

up at 7am (early for me) started the strike water about 10min ago. i have the whole day ahead of me.. i need to do this more often. relax and not feel rushed before the wife gets home. :mug:

I'm working nights right now and can't wait to do an early one my first morning off. Thinking about strawberry lambic!

So im about to jump to the morning brew day for the first time sunday and im so excited. I got my grains and equipment All ready to start at 5 am. The only thing im feeling weird about is when I brew I always have a homebrew and jam out... its 5 o clock Somewhere right :eek: . Its my day off so I think ill indulge a bit. Am I the only one who has done this??

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Home Brew mobile app

So im about to jump to the morning brew day for the first time sunday and im so excited. I got my grains and equipment All ready to start at 5 am. The only thing im feeling weird about is when I brew I always have a homebrew and jam out... its 5 o clock Somewhere right :eek: . Its my day off so I think ill indulge a bit. Am I the only one who has done this??

I, for one have done exactly what you are describing. :mug: Fawk what tother people hink. It's not like you are out in public stumbling around drunk. You are enjoying a homebrew in a responsible manner.

Me, I set my stand up in the garage the night prior and fill the HLT. I also get my grain bill all weighed out and prepped for crushing. Wake up in the morning, light the HLT burner in my undies, make coffee, brush teeth, and get the brew day rolling. Got a little of a late start today as I did not light the HLT until 0610. All's good though. Hope everyone has a geat brew day!!! :fro:

Water set. Grains crushed. Heaters in place (its going to be 39 degrees in the morning, that's freezing to me). Flame on at 5:30, no problem being done, cleaned and put away before super bowl!

That's where im at. eta to brew time 5 hours and counting. Everything is a go. Happy brewing. Cheers.

Mashed in on my Galaxy white IPA. Happy Super Bowl Sunday, everyone!! ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391336023.941009.jpg

Mash in and going as planned. Its a brisk 32° outside hence the beer to keep me warm:sly: so who's going to win today??

1391343624899.jpg

1391343649494.jpg

Up side down pics.. thats a new one lol

Lit the burner on the strike water at 4:50, doughed in by 5:35, spilled a lil bit of strike water due to a valve opening upon moving it outside. No worries coffee going and smooth sailing now . Remaking my Biere de Boucher with a couple minor tweaks. Using more honey malt instead of as much honey, but still a kicker at knockout.

What's up my early morning peeps?

Got a northern english brown going down over here with some toasted oats thrown in for fun.

It's quiet in the house, there is coffee in the mug, and the smell of crushed grain in the air. Life is good!

Mashed in around 7:45 this morning. Brewing a vienna lager. 51% vienna, 45% munich 10L, and 4% caramunich. Using harvested wy2206. Should be yummy!

Ive been meaning to do a vienna lager. I may need to make it a point to do one before summer.

Ive been meaning to do a vienna lager. I may need to make it a point to do one before summer.

Tap water is cold right now here in Iowa. I was able to chill my 4 gallons of wort down to 50F in about 20-25 minutes yesterday. Amazing! Aerated with pure o2 for just under 2 minutes and pitched a big jar of 2206 slurry. Unfortunately it's not really going much yet. The slurry was about a month old, so I hope it's okay. I'm sure it'll be fine. Been over 24 hours...come on yeast!

Back