Early Morning Brews

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going have to try this early morning brewing. For some reason brewing while I drink coffee and baileys sounds really good, and fun.

Well now that paddy hoppin' season is over, and the fact the water out here is starting to get cold again, no more Whiteseabass or Yellow Tail hunting and the surf was down so no surfy surfy; uhh 4am start to brew some beer is freaking awesome ! It was also awesome cause I hit 81.5% efficiency, whoa Nelly

I love the smell of hops in the morning, it smells like victory.

estricklin said:
I normally brew outside, but here lately I have been putting my strike water in a pot on the electric stove the night before, covered with a lid and the campden tablet already dissolved in it. While I'm getting dressed and making coffee the strike water is heating up and I'm mashing in no time! This also saves me on propane, kinda makes me wonder why I ever started brewing outside, never underestimate an electric stove!!
Same procedure here. I boil outside but heat strike water on the stove. Saves time and propane.

Woke up at 7:00am to brew a zombie dust clone. Was finished by 12:30 with yeast pitched and in the ferm fridge. Took my time, and got a nice long walk with my two dogs after I mashed in. Morning brews are the way to go!

Mashed in for brew number two this weekend. A Honey Brown today. Catching a little ass time before heading out to tend to the animals in the brisk NH morning!

Fer cry sake, just was told hogs can't do for delivery to the processor until afternoon per their request. I could have had a boil half done by now.

Fer cry sake, just was told hogs can't do for delivery to the processor until afternoon per their request. I could have had a boil half done by now.

Don't you just hate that! Like you've got all day to just hold them for delivery...

I started using a processor in Athol, MA and had better luck with them, both for delivery and processing.

These are going over to Windham, ME, I haven't gone there for 20 years. I have some regular customers who wanted to try them out so I'm going with it. Hard to get a booking with them unless you get it months ahead. I used to do my own but now I don't want to deal with it. I certainly could if I had to but I don't have cold hanging unless Ma Nature cooperates. I really dislike wrapping too, really messes up brew time.

Finished with the outdoor chores and am total denial about the snowflakes falling....

Meanwhile, I came in to do the sparge, lifted the bag and was holding it to allow it to drain. Reaching for the colander, the bag slipped out and slash down! Lost a little over a cup of first wort and my wife will get a clean floor this morning. Must have been those bleeping snow flakes!

Other than that, I hit pretty close to target pre-boil gravity, a couple of points low... but well within experimental error;)

Done! Batch in fermentor, boil kettle and gear clean, stove top scrubbed (including those nasty tumeric stains from the ground goat with mint), floor mopped, and finally sitting down to the news!

Mashed in at 7:00am yesterday, pitched at 11:20am, and finished cleanup by lunchtime at 12:30.

Nothing better than an early morning 5 1/2 hr brewday.

Done! Batch in fermentor, boil kettle and gear clean, stove top scrubbed (including those nasty tumeric stains from the ground goat with mint), floor mopped, and finally sitting down to the news!

How much ground goat do you usual add to your brews?

How much ground goat do you usual add to your brews?

LOL, actually that was Thursday night's dinner. Great dish! I haven't tried goat in the brews yet...:p

The tumeric stains something fierce and takes a bit of scrubbing to take off.

Doughed in at 8am and was cleaned up and in the fermenter by 1pm. Makes swmbo happy happy happy too.

Oginme said:
LOL, actually that was Thursday night's dinner. Great dish! I haven't tried goat in the brews yet...:p

The tumeric stains something fierce and takes a bit of scrubbing to take off.

Have you tried a magic eraser? Those things take everything off!

i'll be getting started in 2 hours. i have a 4 day break and will brew on at least 2 of them. my neighbors think i'm nuts keeping my midnight shift sleep schedule even when i'm off. for me i feel like i'm more focused on my procedures.

It was 11 degrees here this morning for a low. I decided it was a perfect time to renovate my ginger beer plant. I've got 1/2 gal each of blueberry ginger beer and strawberry ginger beer and 1 gal of raspberry ginger beer in secondary fermentation now. I have a gallon of straight ginger beer in primary to propagate the plant. I also have a couple quarts of carbonated ginger beer out chilling on the back steps for later. I better get out and get some work done so I can justify getting into them later.

What are you brewing?

I brewed a "Tomahawk Chop" APA in honor of FSU playing UM on Saturday. All Columbus (Tomahawk) hops. Brew day went well so I'm looking forward to this one!

Chest freezer went out during fermentation on this one. Doh! We will see how it turns out. Hopefully, the temp didn't get too high.

Morning all! Flame was on around 3:45. Doing Yooper's Hoppy American Amber this morning.

I'm about 1/2 way through with the boil. Sun's coming up, and I'm sitting here with a nice post-coffee cigar.

All set to dough in tomorrow morning on my first SMaSH.
Going with a simple Maris Otter-Cascade brew.
Should be a titty bit nippley here in northern Vermont around 0530.
Think they are calling for 20's so am expecting high teens.
Takes about 20 minutes for the barn to warm up.

brewkinger said:
All set to dough in tomorrow morning on my first SMaSH.
Going with a simple Maris Otter-Cascade brew.
Should be a titty bit nippley here in northern Vermont around 0530.
Think they are calling for 20's so am expecting high teens.
Takes about 20 minutes for the barn to warm up.

I see you guys are due snow today...

Mash for ginger beer has 15 minutes to go. I was hesitant getting going this morning due to snow fall. I had no idea what it would amount to and there is always a chance of getting called out to do town road treatment. Going by radar and local conditions I went for it anyway. It isn't real early but not too bad.

I like my morning brew's. I'll be starting an Irish red using notty for the first time tomorrow around 7.

All done. Went pretty well.
Forgot to add the flameout addition of 0.5oz Cascade, so I just added it as I was racking to primary.
Any aroma or flavor from this?? We shall see.

My ginger beer went OK. I managed to dump 1 oz. of Citra all over the floor at 10 min. I let loose with enough profanities to melt the snow for 1000 yards and not once taking the Lord's name in vain. Patton would have been proud. I was mostly concerned about getting it all cleaned up before Tuck, my Akita found them. I've got a new 30 L Speidel fermentor under milking system cleaner right now. I'll see what I can come up with for that tomorrow AM.

Fly sparging time! Love the early mornings brew days! Also 1st time with my SWMBO in the last 20mo of the hobby!

image-1300512943.jpg

I like my morning brew's. I'll be starting an Irish red using notty for the first time tomorrow around 7.

Your going to wonder why you haven't used it sooner! Sometimes I find myself still wanting to use it, I may try to wash some next time I use a pack.

My ginger beer went OK. I managed to dump 1 oz. of Citra all over the floor at 10 min. I let loose with enough profanities to melt the snow for 1000 yards and not once taking the Lord's name in vain. Patton would have been proud. I was mostly concerned about getting it all cleaned up before Tuck, my Akita found them. I've got a new 30 L Speidel fermentor under milking system cleaner right now. I'll see what I can come up with for that tomorrow AM.

Ahhhh man I'd buy you a brew myself if I could, you deserve it, battling snow!! At 4 am here, it was so nice outside, jeans and t-shirt weather.

Ahhhh man I'd buy you a brew myself if I could, you deserve it, battling snow!! At 4 am here, it was so nice outside, jeans and t-shirt weather.

I thank ya kindly. I absolutely love AR and if I could afford to go some place for the winter that is where I'd go. I was in NW AR (Fayetteville area) a few years back and it reminded me of here when I was growing up with the open rolling hills and farm land, plus the woods and clean water brooks. Much warmer in Jan which was great.

I woke up this morning and looked out the window and its overcast and freezing. after some procrastination I finally get my butt into the garage and get my mash going on my red ale at 7:30 this morning. Thing are going well despite the freezing temps and what looks to be a crappy day. About half way though the boil I'm enjoying the fresh sent of wort and hops when the first snow of the season starts coming down. So I grabbed a cold one, my lawn chair and thought Its a great day after all.

My Brew Mornings are better when I know that the Mash has been sitting for eight hours already and likely any conversion that was going to happen already has.

Latest posts

Back