Early Beer recipe from South Carolina?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I'm interested if anyone has/knows of a historical recipe from South Carolina. Actually, it doesn't even have to be from South Carolina, I'd be cool with anything from the Southeast US.

I'm kind of a history buff and just began looking for a "South Carolina" beer recipe and thought this would be a good place to ask.

Well, Philly isn't South, but the AHA's Poor Richard's Ale is very good stuff, a lot of corn and a little molasses. It's a period recreation.

david_42 said:
Well, Philly isn't South, but the AHA's Poor Richard's Ale is very good stuff, a lot of corn and a little molasses. It's a period recreation.
I tried Poor Richard's Ale at a home brew tasting at my LHBS and it was OUTSTANDING! It was much better than I thought it would be. As a matter of fact, I need to schedule this one for myself.

RichBrewer said:
I tried Poor Richard's Ale at a home brew tasting at my LHBS and it was OUTSTANDING! It was much better than I thought it would be. As a matter of fact, I need to schedule this one for myself.

I'm game for one too. I wanted to do it a while back but never got around to it. You planning on doing the exact recipe or changing it up a little?

EDIT: This post is all dueces for me. I'm never posting again. :)

Dude said:
I'm game for one too. I wanted to do it a while back but never got around to it. You planning on doing the exact recipe or changing it up a little?

EDIT: This post is all dueces for me. I'm never posting again. :)
I would like to try the original recipe. I've now seen two versions of it. The one I was thinking of is from the Beertown.org site.

Dude! You have to keep posting 6,666 is only 4,444 posts away!
Edit: I may use american 2 row as the base malt instead of Marris Otter because it's what I have.

So what, ya'll are hijacking my South Carolina thread now?!?!? ;) ;)

So aside from Poor Richard's "Not Even Close to SC" Ale, anybody else??

ian said:
So what, ya'll are hijacking my South Carolina thread now?!?!? ;) ;)

So aside from Poor Richard's "Not Even Close to SC" Ale, anybody else??
Sorry ian. I definately don't like to hijack threads. I got carried away. :mug:

RichBrewer said:
Sorry ian. I definately don't like to hijack threads. I got carried away. :mug:

No prob Rich :D, just watch it!

Dude, there are some limitations. Actually, El P's were about as complex as I'll do. There were a lot of little elements in that design that were a little tough. Best thing to do is give me an idea of what you want and I'll see what I can do.

Now I've hijacked my own thread!!

ian said:
No prob Rich :D, just watch it!
Man! I guess I better......:D
Don't want the hijack thread police coming after me! ;)
Well maybe I do if they look like Bjorn Borg's Closet Guardian! :D I'm sorry officer. I've been very bad. I need to be punished...
I need another H.B.
and I think I've managed to hijack again....

I've been thinking about this. As rice was a major commercial crop in South Carolina, I wonder if beer may have been made with malted rice. Also, as corn was a crop cultivated by native americans, I wonder if early colonists may have made beer from corn as well? I'm doing more thinking about this than actual research, a little Google time might lead me to something more concrete. . . .

I've wondered the same thing about SC beer. Seems to me like we're in a void for craft beer. I know of a few that are brewed in SC and even more brewed in NC, but I don't know how "historical" they are.

captaineriv

I read the book Beer In America, The Early Years 1587-1840 by Gregg Smith. A very interestng history of beer in America, and why beer was important historically and socially. Also covers some historic recipes, methods and equipment, as well as some prominent breweries that no longer exist. About corn, it definately ended up in the beer. Barley malt was hard to come by at first, as well as hops. Farming it was sometimes difficult, and importing it was expensive. Just about anything that could be fermented or used to preserve it ended up in the beer. Corn, molasses, spruce, you name it. I'd recommend the book.

ian said:
I've been thinking about this. As rice was a major commercial crop in South Carolina, I wonder if beer may have been made with malted rice. Also, as corn was a crop cultivated by native americans, I wonder if early colonists may have made beer from corn as well? I'm doing more thinking about this than actual research, a little Google time might lead me to something more concrete. . . .
I bet you are on to something. From everything I've read, brewers in the past made beer with the resources readily available to them. This is how some styles were born. You can be sure Southern brewers used corn and I would bet rice.

i'll keep my ears open. there are a couple old timers in out club. you may wish to give thomas kreek a call as well ian. i've always found them a great resource.

Grimace said:
Is this what you're looking for?

http://***********/feature/1035.html
seems like that's what he wanted...

now find one from south carolina.... :D

Back