Eagle Scouts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In Canada we call them Chief Scouts, and we also don't do a project, but instead do a certain number of hours of 'community service.' Most of mine were working for the Canadian Red Cross.

jjasghar said:
mine was really geeky.... i networked my school. we needed a computer network and well i did it :p
Actually I think that is awesome. I shows scouting isn't just about tying knots and making fire.

Was a "beaver" when I was a kid. When I was 17 I joined the Canadian Armed Forces Reserves. Was a Radio Op.

Wanted to join regular force and become a helicopter pilot, but at the time my eyesight wasn't good enough for that, so I went to college instead. Heh, felt weird being in "the military" while still in high school.

Friends in HS: "What did you do on the weekend? We played basketball then got pissed drunk."
Me: "Uh, I blew the $hit out of targets with 7.62mm rounds, then got really drunk with a bunch of 30 year olds at Oktoberfest on base. Then got up at 6am and blew the $hit out of more things in between rounds of puking in the bushes. Oh, and somehow I lost my contact lenses." (might have been the dual fisting pitchers of beer...)

Basic training was fun. Almost blew off my leg with a t-flare. Got the flu/sars in the middle of our final exercise. Since no one wanted me to leave the exercise and thus not pass basic.. They fed me a LOT of cough syrup. Just happened it contained DMX (you know the stuff people trip out on) and I was hallucinating half the time. Great fun on night exercises. I think some heads rolled when we got back to base when the base Dr. saw me. I'm not really sure. I was bed ridden for 3 weeks and passed out during the graduation ceremony. To this day I don't know what the hell the visiting brass said to me when he shook my hand because I couldn't hear anything. ahhhhh... good times. :D

I'm not sure if I should discuss the time some of the members of my section found pot growing in the woods during an exercise in basic and proceeded to decorate the cam netting with the leaves and ate the buds. I ended up doing the whole navigation course for the whole section since most were body stoned...

God Damn. Was basic really 18 years ago? :eek:

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
God Damn. Was basic really 18 years ago? :eek:

Denny, you're another one of those that I always assume is in his mid-forties, but we are the same age; I don't know why, I just do.

Your basic sounds so much better than mine, although mine was only 11 years ago when all the fun with beer and pot entered the zero tolerance policies.

fifelee said:
Actually I think that is awesome. I shows scouting isn't just about tying knots and making fire.

wait, you mean to tell me I did all of that to not build big fires all the time?

I was an Eagle with Angus's Army, Troop 4 in Ada, OK
We had a scout bus named the green weeny. Got my Eagle right before I turned 18. I put my project off forever. There are a lot of us on here, I didn't think there would be this many. How bout those scout shorts huh? I think they were made in Canada, and the second you put them on they want to go back north.
John W. Lowry, Jr. '93

Made Life and OA. Went to Philmont. Turned 16, got a car, a job, and girlfriend and just didn't have the time to do Eagle. Grandfather earned a Silver Beaver that is now on the shelf of my study. Loved the scouts, but was more interested in camping than earning badges.

Flyin' Lion said:
Denny, you're another one of those that I always assume is in his mid-forties, but we are the same age; I don't know why, I just do.

Your basic sounds so much better than mine, although mine was only 11 years ago when all the fun with beer and pot entered the zero tolerance policies.

Oh great, now I even SEEM older! lol

I just did things younger. :D

Anyone take part in the National Eagle Scout Honor Roll that they (NESA.org) put together?

Wow, hadn't seen this thread before. If you're talking about that postcard asking to call them, then yes, I called and answered a few questions. Didn't buy the book or whatever, but I updated my "profile" with them.

I'm still on the fence about the book, but I still thought this was interesting nonetheless

Eagle Scout here...with a potential future girl scout. I've got 3 younger brothers, all in boy scouts, and younger sister in girl scouts. Did OA for a while but found i didn't like it. Philmont was a BLAST.:rockin:

Made it to Life scout and OOA myself. My dad never really encouraged me, but I was in from 11 years old till I aged out at 18. My son will get is Star rank at the end of summer. He can't drive till he gets his Eagle.

I just finished my Wood Badge ticket my self. Any Wood Badge grads here?

Eagle Scout, Vigil Honor OA, Summer camp counselor for over a decade including shooting sports director for the last 4, hiked the Appalachians and the Continental Divide with my troop, as well as have done Philmont twice. the second time I went I helped develop and was with the first crew to complete the Roving Outdoor Conservation School (R.O.C.S.) You will probably never see another patch like this:
P5300091.jpg

My project was to build a new bridge on a nature trail for a state park. It kinda was a bummer to haul all the lumber in manually the 2 miles to the build site... Ah memories.... :)

I also did 4-H from 8 to 18. I learned a lot from both of these programs that I will carry with me forever.

My father was an Eagle. My motivation at the time was to get it earlier in life than he, and get more merit badges/palms then he. I was successful in both.

Brotherhood OA member, several NOAC's, one National Jamboree, but sadly no Philmont.

Totally am. Was Life at age 14, didn't get my award until I was a month before being 18 (November 4). Actually went up for my Board on Dec. 18 of the same year but because I was done and ready to be put through the Board all was legal. Lesson learned: don't procrastinate. Kyle

Eagle Scout Class of '98 here. *If only slick willy hand't signed my certificate, it'd be perfect* At the time the coolest thing about it was the letters from all the important people. I've still got them all in a scrapbook.

OOA Vigil member now.
The troop I grew up with folded right after I got Life Scout, and I was pretty disheartned with scouting, but another troops scoutmaster made me his goal & talked me back into scouting & into my Eagle.
I did my project reclaiming a nature/interpretive trail for the US Forest Service & they liked it so much they gave me job. Now I maintain the trail i built. If this isn't the story for Eagle scouting developing into a careear then I don;t know what is.

Anybody involved in the Arrowcorps5 project in Covington Va later on in June? I'll be there, and can't decide to wear my FS uniform, or my old scout uniform! PM me, I'd love to get togethr for a brew.

Great memories. I still remember Camp Powathan & Ottari. High Knool was great. Ft AP Hill even better.

thanks,
Zac

Life Scout. I dropped out before starting my project for reasons of pretty much a scandal.
Senior Patrol Leader, OOA, Den Leader, etc. Great times! Dont really regret not getting it because I was pretty much there and because of the reasons I quit. But I carry soooo much that I learned that has saved my ass and others many times. At times possibly literally.

Eagle Scout, finished in '98 I believe...OA member too, made it to Brotherhood. Philmont was awesome...

Eagle scout class of '02 here... I loved the scouting experience while I was in it...my closest friends to date are two friends I went through scouts with. My best friend I met in cub scouts when my dad and his dad started a Den. He and I went were in the same Den for 4 years and then in the same troop for the next 7 until we graduated HS. We became friends with another kid a couple years younger than us while in scouts. All of us got Eagle and are still friends. Its a good feeling to know your closest friends are all eagles.

Not an Eagle Scout. Played sports pretty much year round as a kid and never had time. I wont say I regret it, cause I loved and still do love playing sports, but lets just say, I wish I would have made time for it.

The closest resemblace to the eagle scout over here is called the "Chief Scout" award, however these things are all changing with the new organisation (CSI+SAI=SI)

I didn't get it as my troop were never big ibto the badge thing... I'm now the venturer leader and pushing for the lads to do some awards like the ragha or the gaisce...

I made it to life scout/assistant senior patrol leader and completely lost interests when we got a new Scoutmaster. We went from camping every other week to nothing at all.

I made Life scout and then sort of dropped out. Getting a car and job got in the way. Was OOA and did Philmont once. Both my dad and granddad were big in the scouts. My granddad earned the Silver Beaver which I now have on my shelf.

I got my Eagle in 1995. Order of the Arrow Brotherhood. Never did Philmont but did a couple canoe trips to Ely and Atikokan. I lost interest once I hit HS but I finished, and overall the BSA was a great experience for me. My dad was an ASM and I hope to have a boy someday to do the same with.

Eagled in 1994. OA vigil. I set up a program for scouts to be camp counselors at a camp for the developmentally disabled for my project. I never made is to Philmont, but I always wanted to. Maybe someday I'll pick it back up again.

Got my Eagle in 1988. Was Brotherhood in OA. Spent many summers at Boy Scout Camp in Texas. Scouting taught me rock climbing, snow skiing, cooking so many skills that I still use today. Some odd reason I still find myself drawn to Eagle Scouts. We seem to search each other out.

Didn't realize so many were out there - Eagle scout here too. Too bad it is not as popular as it once was, great way to learn some much needed respect for those around you, among a lot of rope tying and miles of hikes.

I did scouts up until I got to Star rank. Then I realized that the new scoutmaster wanted to run the troop like Basic Training instead of actually doing fun things, so I showed him exactly how I thought he was #1 and I left.

Back