Duvel Clone - Ever tried Candi Syrups Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CidahMastah

Reaction score
Hey all.

Was considering doing a Duvel clone - has anyone tried the Candi Syrup's clone? Do you think the candi syrup is essential. I have heard people say for the darker sugars, you need teh belgian candi, but for the lighter sugars, you can just make some invert sugar.

Thanks for any help/experience with this.

http://www.candisyrup.com/recipes.html

See Duvel Clone recipe

Making a Duvel clone seems to be a mythical creature. While many have created good beers, many have tried and failed to create an exact clone.

I have tried making my own candi sugar, invert syrup, and straight white table sugar. I do not notice a difference between them.

Good luck with which ever method you choose.

Making a Duvel clone seems to be a mythical creature. While many have created good beers, many have tried and failed to create an exact clone.

I have tried making my own candi sugar, invert syrup, and straight white table sugar. I do not notice a difference between them.

Good luck with which ever method you choose.

Have you ever tried the Belgian Candi syrup?

I have used the D2 on my recent quad, I can taste what I believe to be the D2 in it. i.e. D2 is worth using IMO.

I have heard however that the lighter colored candi syrups don't had an advantage.

All that said, on the recipe I posted up there, the candi maker's claim their candi syrup is the only way to replicate and create the lacing found in the real duvel.

"Note: We’ve tried dextrose, sucrose, and pure fructose in this recipe. Only Simplicity was able to repeatedly create the
famed Belgian lace and high frothy head in this Ale."

All that said, on the recipe I posted up there, the candi maker's claim their candi syrup is the only way to replicate and create the lacing found in the real duvel.

I would be interested to see the science behind what type of sugar you use affecting lacing. AFAIK the type of sugar has nothing to do with it. They have a really informative site and seem like they know what they are talking about though.

"Note: We’ve tried dextrose, sucrose, and pure fructose in this recipe. Only Simplicity was able to repeatedly create the
famed Belgian lace and high frothy head in this Ale."

FFS, thats just marketing talking:drunk:
Headshots>

I have done the duvel green with just plain table sugar. It came out fine.

FFS, thats just marketing talking:drunk:
Headshots>

haha classic... - and for the record this is what I thought the honest answer should be.

Seems like you make a fair amount of this stuff, what do you prefer to use. Or is sugar just sugar for your recipes?

I brewed a BGS last weekend, not calling it a Duvel clone - but only because if it doesn't taste just like Duvel I won't be disappointed. Anyhow, I just used cane sugar and added it on day 3 of the ferment. From what I understand, the brewers in Belgium use beet sugar for the golden strong. For the record, at 1 week I was down to 1.007 - that Duvel strain is awesome - it chewed through 1.072 and then 2 lbs of table sugar in a week! And it tasted delicious already, not hot like you'd expect a nearly 11% beer to be. It looks like it's going to need some lagering to clear though...

I brewed a BGS last weekend, not calling it a Duvel clone - but only because if it doesn't taste just like Duvel I won't be disappointed. Anyhow, I just used cane sugar and added it on day 3 of the ferment. From what I understand, the brewers in Belgium use beet sugar for the golden strong. For the record, at 1 week I was down to 1.007 - that Duvel strain is awesome - it chewed through 1.072 and then 2 lbs of table sugar in a week! And it tasted delicious already, not hot like you'd expect a nearly 11% beer to be. It looks like it's going to need some lagering to clear though...

Nice!

I think I am going to jump on the simple version of this recipe, pils, sugar and hops. Focus on the ferment and forget the candi for now. Now that my pipeline is kicking, I want to do some longer term agers, and some lagers

I hear ya.. I don't think this one is going to need that long to age based on how it tasted a couple days ago. Same recipe really.. I used all pils, mashed at 142 and slowly ramped up to mashout over the course of 2 hours - left it at 142 for about 45-50 minutes, then slowly ramped from there - perfect type of mash profile for an electric HERMS.

I have a full pipeline also, so it'll probably be at least 2 months before I do anything with it anyways - just hoping it clears by then. I was thinking about long term projects the other day and decided I have plenty of 5 gallon carboys and a taste for Rodenbach, so it's time to play with bugs.

Very cool. It is great because the winter is coming too (well not just yet ha). so I want to be sure I have some good stuff to keep me warm!

Ha, aren't you guys having a heat wave? How can you think about winter warmers right now? :)

Yeah we are big time. I think just knowing I have a ton of backlog is making me think about what I don't have in the kegs haha!

I have been cranking out hefes, wits and american wheats this summer though. They have been essential to survival. :mug:

Moortgat doesn't use any candi sugar in Duvel. The recipe is pilsner malt, dextrose, goldings and saaz. My recent clone turned out really well, I'll dig up the recipe I used later tonight.

Moortgat doesn't use any candi sugar in Duvel. The recipe is pilsner malt, dextrose, goldings and saaz. My recent clone turned out really well, I'll dig up the recipe I used later tonight.

I would really appreciate that. I plan on brewing in about 3 weeks, I think this will be one of two 10G batches.

Duvel 5g recipe

11lb Belgian Pilsner Malt
2.25lbs (17%ish) Dextrose

90min Boil
Goldings bittering @ 25mins (30 IBU)
Saaz flavor @ 60 mins

Mash for fermentability, as low as you can (I did 148F) for 80 mins. Dextrose goes into the kettle near the end of the boil to avoid caramelization - Moortgat prides themselves on how pale Duvel is (3-4srm)
Pitch yeast @ 61F-64F, allow to rise to 79-84F.

Duvel is cold conditioned for 3 weeks below freezing.

1.069 OG
Wyeast 1338

Hope this helps. I should add that I dryhopped my clone with 3oz of Saaz and an oz of Citra/Simcoe/Cascade mixed together. It was delicious, but keep in mind that the dryness of Duvel accentuates hop bitterness and character (significantly). Let me know how it turns out!

Duvel 5g recipe

11lb Belgian Pilsner Malt
2.25lbs (17%ish) Dextrose

90min Boil
Goldings bittering @ 25mins (30 IBU)
Saaz flavor @ 60 mins

Mash for fermentability, as low as you can (I did 148F) for 80 mins. Dextrose goes into the kettle near the end of the boil to avoid caramelization - Moortgat prides themselves on how pale Duvel is (3-4srm)
Pitch yeast @ 61F-64F, allow to rise to 79-84F.

Duvel is cold conditioned for 3 weeks below freezing.

1.069 OG
Wyeast 1338

Hope this helps. I should add that I dryhopped my clone with 3oz of Saaz and an oz of Citra/Simcoe/Cascade mixed together. It was delicious, but keep in mind that the dryness of Duvel accentuates hop bitterness and character (significantly). Let me know how it turns out!

thanks so much! Recipe looks great and I will definitely be giving it a go. Too bad my next three weekends are booked up... so no brewing!:mad:

Did the dry hopping keep it tasting in line with duvel? I will be doing a double batch, so it looks like I have to get some dextrose!

Duvel isn't dryhopped at Moortgat, and I'd say that my version had significantly more hop aroma than the real thing. Skip the dryhop if you're going for a straight up clone, but if you want more aroma you could use 1/2 of what I did (our version was very spicy/skunky on the nose due to the 3oz of Saaz in the secondary). Happy brewing!

I have made candy syrups of various colors. They all turn out with a very different taste and color. I made a dubbel out of some sugar I boiled down to a red color that came out delicious and I currently have fermenting a dark saison with sugar I boiled to a dark, almost black color.

However, none of those syrups are necessary for Duvel.

Hi,
This looks like the ballpark of the recipe I made in 1995. I'm just getting around to making it again! I used the yeast from the Duvel Bottle. I'll plan on doing this again. Last time I didn't use as much sugar as I thought I should, but it was very tasty and sort of a Duvel light. I did but a 4 pack of Duvel for the yeast. I hadn't had it for a while and thought the bottle was a tad skunky, so hopefully my version will be better than what I bought. Or perhaps at $16 a 4 pack, the beer was old(?)

Hi,
This looks like the ballpark of the recipe I made in 1995. I'm just getting around to making it again! I used the yeast from the Duvel Bottle. I'll plan on doing this again. Last time I didn't use as much sugar as I thought I should, but it was very tasty and sort of a Duvel light. I did but a 4 pack of Duvel for the yeast. I hadn't had it for a while and thought the bottle was a tad skunky, so hopefully my version will be better than what I bought. Or perhaps at $16 a 4 pack, the beer was old(?)

Do you find that the bottle yeast is significantly different than 1388 or WLP570? Or is it just a preference thing?

Sorry, I've only tried the bottle yeast. At the time, I was very satisfied with the flavor which I assume was from the yeast.

Back