Dunkelweizen surprised me tonight.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smalliewader

Reaction score
Brewed my first Dunkelweizen 12 days ago. Normally my wheats hit fg in 10 days at most, let them rest for a full 14 days before bottling. This Dunkelweizen fermented strong at 68-70 for 9 days then the airlock went dead. Dead as in no pressure at all in it for 3 days, which usually is a sign we're at FG. Tested the gravity..... 1.022, should be 1.015. I'm going to give it a few more days after a gentle swirl and see if it drops....... Just threw me for a loop for a wheat to not be done after 12 days and ready to condition.

I'm hoping to keg this to take to the beach on the 24th. I might still make that deadline. What's your experience with Dunkelweizen? Used Danstar Munich for the first time if that makes a difference....... Which I'm assuming it is.

Do you mean the Danstar Munich? I just used that for the first time in a Dunkle and am not too happy with it. It's not coming across like a normal weizen yeast (banana and clove) and almost had a rubbery taste shortly after fermentation. It's getting better as it sits in the carboy but it will more of an American wheat than a German which is disappointing to me.

ANYWAYS!, to get to your question...
It should attenuate pretty well. Depending on your recipe and OG, you could either be done fermenting or stalled out. The temperature seems fine, so what was your OG and recipe? That's the only way to know what's happening.

So far, I actually like the taste the Munich is giving....not as strong as a traditional Heffe yeast. No bubble gum....yet. I've read real mixed emotions on this yeast though.

The recipe:
6.6 lb Wheat LME
1 lb Chocolate Malt
8 oz. Munich
1 lb Maltodextrine

Willamette and Cascade hops.

It's a BB kit that I boosted the Chocolate by 8 oz.

Did a mini mash with the Chocolate and Munich 155* 30 minutes, sparged and then a 1 hour boil. OG 1.060 (BrewR predicted .059), FG should be hitting around .015 but sitting at .022

The Danstar Munich was rehydrated and took 24 hours to show signs (which from what I've read is dead on for Munich). Very vigorous activity for about 7 days, by day 9 done...flat.

I roused the fermenter a little last night, this put pressure back in the airlock and was still holding it up as of leaving this morning, so maybe it's still cooking...no leaks in my fermenters, all tight and with rubber seals in the lids, so that's not the issue.

Pretty odd for a wheat. I've never had one that didn't quickly finish to .010 or better, but then I've never done a Dunkel before.

The Maltodextrin is your culprit, I think. It's only like 10% fermentable so by adding an entire pound, you've got your high FG.

I just looked it up, I think you are right. It also explains the sweetness. I've never really used the stuff much before. I think when I tweak this recipe for next time I'll be cutting that Malto in half.

In fact, I think you just solved the issue of the high FG on my Butternut brown from a few months ago. The recipe I used had a pound of Malto in it also. I've had those aging in a tupperware bin fearing bombs. They are very slowly carbing up now after 8 or 9 weeks. The Malto explains the FG there as well.

I brew Dunkle Weizen a lot. I have a 10 gallon batch boiling right now.

The last batch I brewed had an OG of 1.056. I let it sit in primary for 5 days and 7 in the secondary. Still only hit 1.019. Tastes great kegged, a bit sweet.

I wait for the bubbler to stop before I rack to the keg every time. This was the first time I didn't get it to 1.015.

I'm still new at this, but it tastes good to me and that's all that matters.

I brewed a Dunkelweizen on Saturday with a 2 liter starter of Wyeast 3068 - Weihenstephen Weizen. Started at 1.045 and took a sample today that says 1.011. VERY fragrant. LOTS of banana and clove. Kind of thin because my mash temp dropped when I wasn't paying attention (BIAB).

Back