Dunkelweizen recommendation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wakadaka

Reaction score
i was planning on doing an american wheat and then a dunkelweizen using the same yeast, but I haven't found anybody who makes "american" dunkelweizens. Is it done or would it even taste good?

My recipe for my wheat will be:
5lb 2 row
6lb white wheat

and lightly hopped with cascade, hallatauer, or willamette.

what yeast should I get for that recipe and then to wash and reuse for a dunkel?

Also will take any recomendations on that recipe, and suggestions for a dunkelweizen recipe. Currently I am considering Edwort's recipe just because I saw it on brewmasters warehouse, and I will be brewing his haus pale ale soon.

The only yeast I have on hand at the moment is US05 which I was planning on using for the first wheat, but if I will be buying a yeast specifically for the dunkelweizen anyways might as well get another use out of it

in the Wyeast lineup, WY3056 or WY3068 are probably the most common Dunkelweizen strains but the clove/phenolic character is not really something you find in American wheats, not as prevalently, anyways. If you ferment cool and pitch plenty of yeast, you might be able to avoid it to some degree?

I am sure you can try it and let us know the outcome! :D

Back