Dunkelweizen Grain Bill - das ist gut?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KidIcarus

Reaction score
Hi everyone. New member here looking to get feedback on the grain bill that I put together for my second beer, a dunkelweizen (dark wheat beer).

First off, huge thanks to this forum. I have learned SO much here.

Here is the ingredient list I put together for this all grain brew:
Dunkelweizen_tentative_ingredient_list_v1a.jpg

Here's how I came up with these ingredients:
1) Found a style guide for Dunkelweizen that shows the recommended grains by percentage. Here's the recommendation I found: (link)

Malt Bill for Dunkelweizen and Weizenbock
- 60% Dark Wheat malt
- 25% Pils malt
- 10% Munich malt
- 5% Caramunich, Carawheat or Chocolate Wheat malt; vary depending on desired color, flavors, and aroma.

2) The "German Dark Wheat Malt" is not available at my LHBS, so I substituted "White Wheat Malt".

3) The American "White Wheat Malt" is lighter in color than the "German Dark Wheat Malt". I read that I can use a small amount of "Carafa I" to get to my target beer color. I decided on 10oz of "Carafa I" to get to my target dark color.​

Question: Does this ingredient list look good for a Dunkelweizen? What should I add/remove/change?

I would maybe up the pilsner a bit and just do a half pound of special B instead of all the carafa and caramunich. Just seems like too much caramel malts to me. Just my opinion though.

I would maybe up the pilsner a bit and just do a half pound of special B instead of all the carafa and caramunich. Just seems like too much caramel malts to me. Just my opinion though.

@sfgoat: Thanks for the feedback. Based on your feedback, I upped the Pilsner to 25% of the grain bill, and reduced the white wheat to 50%.

I had the "Weyermann Carafa Special® TYPE I" at 5% of the grain bill based on information here that mentions that Carafa:

"...Reduces astringency and bitterness, while adding coffee-brown color, a coffee-like bouquet, dark- beer aroma, as well as body and mouthfeel to finished beer⎯but without introducing harsh flavors. Even small amounts of CARAFA SPECIAL® malts in the grain bill produce dark beers of unusual smoothness and mildness with a firm, creamy, white head. Recommended Quantities: Up to 5% of total grain bill Suitability (beer styles): Lagers: Dunkel, Doppelbock Ales: Dark, Stout, Altbier"

Do you think I'll find that the Carafa at 5% of the grain will actually add flavors that will overpower others, or will otherwise negatively impact the balance of flavors for this style?

Looks close to first attempt at a Schneider Weiss clone.

The Carafa may be a little much, but worth a shot. I found using crystal malts to darken works really good. Doesn't impart a chocolate note.

I found using caravienne and a little British dark crystal produces a really good Dunkel for me.

I say brew your recipe and see how you like it. Then tweak it from there.

Das ist Sehr gut! Prost

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Looks close to first attempt at a Schneider Weiss clone.

The Carafa may be a little much, but worth a shot. I found using crystal malts to darken works really good. Doesn't impart a chocolate note.

I found using caravienne and a little British dark crystal produces a really good Dunkel for me.

I say brew your recipe and see how you like it. Then tweak it from there.

Das ist Sehr gut! Prost

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

@W0rthog: Good advice man. The hardest part of "brewing it the way I like it" is me being too new at this to have a sense for how it will taste. To offset my inexperience, it's very helpful to get everyone's feedback on this.

I do like your recommendation to use caravienne and British dark crystal. The amount of Carafa that I came up with is mainly to overcome limitations of what is in stock at my LHBS (ie Dark German Wheat, British dark crysta, etc) while still hitting the dark color I am looking for. Lesson learned that in the future, I should order the less ubiquitous stuff online in advance of my brew day.

Latest posts

Back