Dune

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chefchris

Reaction score
Out of all the horrible movies that I put myself through, Actium Maximus comes to mind, I can't remember simply turning one off before it's halfway over with. It throws so much self referential jargon at you that it never explains.

He who controls the Spice can kiss my ass.

meh. i was none to impressed, either. i think the only people that still like it are those that enjoyed it when it first came out. i didn't watch it for the first time until last year.

I'm a fanboy, anything in the Dune Universe is awesome. Lynch's movie, while awful, tried to bring a story to the big screen that really couldn't be compressed into an movie format.

The Sci-Fi Dune miniseries was great IMO.

Just to clarify, are you talking about the old one, or the recent remake?

The old one with Sting.

I referred to a movie in the first post, Actium Maximus, well I found a clip of it. I did watch this movie all the way through, but I was literally steaming mad at how bad this movie was. It physically upset me.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxK_KEjvRFU&feature=related]YouTube - Actium Maximus scene[/ame]

Here's another one, it's the second clip shown in this montage.

I've got a thing for really bad movies, but Dune ... well, there was just no excuse for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
The books (at least the first three) are a hallmark of great SF literature.

The Lynch movie is a hallmark of poor adaptation. I watched the theatrical Dune once, and will never watch it again. I'm not sure which is worse, the depiction of Baron Harkonen, or Kyle McLachlan's acting, which was nearly as bad as the twit who played the young Anakin Skywalker in the two most recent Star Wars films.

As for good bad films, I hold up Army of Darkness as a shining example of good badness.

wow...that's pretty bad...i dunno if it beats dune.

now, "Die, you zombie bastards!"...THAT was a fantasticly bad movie :D

I've got that movie in my Netflix queue.

Now, you wanna talk about awesome.

This is my favorite movie.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6iPiOeWB44&feature=related]YouTube - That's a good dog![/ame]

The first Dune movie was OK, if you'd read the book. If you never read the book, then it left too much background out for you to understand some of the concepts. Although, the extended cut on DVD is better.

The miniseries that came out is MUCH better, especially for those that don't already know the story from the book.

I'm currently reading the books his son published telling the early history of the Dune universe. I'm currently about 100 pages into The Battle of Corrin. While he's not as good as his dad, they're decent books.

David Lynch goes for the "deep" and "meaningful" that is hard to decipher. Translation: "random crap pulled out of his a$$ that never made any sense to begin with, so stop trying". Seriously, try watching Mulholland Dr. It's like the writer/director (both in this case being Lynch) was channeling crazy people.

A lot of things owe a debt to Twin Peaks, as it was groundbreaking at the time... but really - the show itself is pretty awful.

I'm currently reading the books his son published telling the early history of the Dune universe. I'm currently about 100 pages into The Battle of Corrin. While he's not as good as his dad, they're decent books.

I've tried to read 2 or 3 of the new books but I get so far in and just lose interest. Something about the writing style that doesn't work with me. I love the original six books though

Edit: Looking at the wikipedia page on the Dune universe I see there are 2 books out that follow ChD. I might have to check those two out

Usul, we have *****ie-sign the likes of which God himself has never seen.

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

Oh, and Bruce Campbell is my hero.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UD_82kvQLkA]

Out of all the horrible movies that I put myself through, Actium Maximus comes to mind, I can't remember simply turning one off before it's halfway over with. It throws so much self referential jargon at you that it never explains.

I thought both versions were pretty good; but then I read the series of books by Frank Herbert before I saw the films.

i haven't read the books and i thought the original movie was great kept it in my collection for years. not had a chance to see the sci fi adaption of the movie tho nor the new movie.

and no its not cause i dont read i just have a hard time finding the series used in this shothole i live in (i dont buy many new books, cept beer ones)

and no its not cause i dont read i just have a hard time finding the series used in this shothole i live in (i dont buy many new books, cept beer ones)

I don't really buy any new books at all anymore. I started using PaperbackSwap

According to them I've received 52 books and sent out 43. They claim I've saved $234 based on a used book price of $4.50

I actually "ordered" Hunters of Dune and its on its way to me and I added the latest book to my wish list

How about writing that in some coherent manner.

Dune was an Epic movie and they did well to try to keep with the book. It would have taken 20hrs to explain every damn detail

iirc correctly herbert, like many before him used paragraphs to describe minute details. great writing and stories, not for those with a short attention span, even with sting! ;)

Dude, watching Sting embarrass himself so badly made the movie worth it. Personally I love the original movie because I love the books so much, but let's be honest: it's really really bad.

The gratuitous shot of a mostly-naked Sting was priceless.

Dude, watching Sting embarrass himself so badly made the movie worth it. Personally I love the original movie because I love the books so much, but let's be honest: it's really really bad.

The gratuitous shot of a mostly-naked Sting was priceless.

How can you say that? That was Feyds (sp) nature. That was EXACTLY how he was supposed to be

The books kicked ass untill Herberts wife croaked and he started getting all biographic and lame on the reader in his last book.

The movies are crap though, I suppose books in such a completely weird universe dont translate well into a movie...

Having not read the books nor seen the original flick, I enjoyed the more recent mini-series (although the uncle and whoever Susan Sarandan played were a bit over-the-top sinister in a campy fashion). And you've got to appreciate Barbora Kodetová's nudity over Sting's!

Hey, hey, sci-fi sideboob!
dune.JPG

Having not read the books nor seen the original flick, I enjoyed the more recent mini-series (although the uncle and whoever Susan Sarandan played were a bit over-the-top sinister in a campy fashion). And you've got to appreciate Barbora Kodetová's nudity over Sting's!

Hey, hey, sci-fi sideboob!
dune.JPG

They were great in the extended directors cut DVDs!

Errrr.... I mean, the part was well acted... yah, that's it.

Back