Dumb Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spazzy

Reaction score
Hey everyone I have a question that is very simple. When doing extract with speciality grains they are steeped before the boil. I have one all grain batch under my belt that didnt use speciality grains

But do i throw them in the mash? or after I have finished mashing steep them the same as when I would when brewing extract?

You can generally just throw them in the mash. I do, as long as they are just crystal or whatever. Some folks like to cold steep, or late add dark specialties though to avoid getting to much harshness out of them (a technique I first read in Gordon Strong's book, worth a read!)

Weird I have my LHBS do my milling and they mill every grain Brewers Malt and Specialty into the same bag. I wouldn't think it matters to do them separately unless you are trying to get a specific taste out. Most recipes I've seen call for a single mash with all grains.

I've read on another thread that the dark roasted grains can change the PH of the mash and affect effeciency. Just repeating things I've heard.

Hey everyone I have a question that is very simple. When doing extract with speciality grains they are steeped before the boil. I have one all grain batch under my belt that didnt use speciality grains

But do i throw them in the mash? or after I have finished mashing steep them the same as when I would when brewing extract?

Steeping is just a way of mimicking the flavors (and sometimes color, bitterness, and head retention) that you'd get out of a mash. You can just crush them and dump it to your mash tun with the rest of your grains.

Latest posts

Back