dubbel grain bill: aromatic, special b, or both?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SRFeldman79

Beverage Consultant/Sales Rep
Reaction score
So the jamil z recipe I found online uses both, but I've also seen some with one or the other? Any thoughts or stories? Im planning on using some pilsner malt plus Munich and dark Candi syrup.

The recipe that I made up uses some Munich and special B along with my base and brown sugar. But I'm pretty sure there is no wrong answer when it comes to making your own brew

there is no one correct answer, there is no one true recipe. just as your tomato sauce is different from you mom's, your neighbor's, etc.; everyone's beer recipe will be different.

both special B and aromatic belong in a dubbel. if i had to choose between the two i'd go with the B, but ideally use both.

Another option is to brew a Dubbel with just pilsner & dark candi syrup if you want something with a thinner body. I've got an on-going attempt to clone the Westmalle Dubbel and my current beer I've got in cold storage now is 70% Belgian pilsner malt & 30% Candi Sugar Inc. D90. The previous version with some caramunich ended up heavier/maltier than the commercial beer with a 1.013 FG, but scored a 38 in a BJCP comp. Eliminiating the caramunich and mashing at 148F has resulted in a 1.007 beer that should be more similar to the commercial Westmalle Dubbel.

Comparison.jpg

Back