Dual Lager & Ale Fermentation Chamber PLUS Kegerator Build (pic intensive)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jstuts2260

Reaction score
I have been planning doing this build for quite a while. A huge thank you to the plethora of people on here that gave me the inspiration. It was inspired by my dorm fridge I was using as a fermentation chamber breaking. Once that happened, I got the approval from SWMOB to create “The Fermatorium” (a little shout out to Modern Times in San Diego).

So here's what I wanted:
- Replace the lager fridge that broke
- Incorporate my kegerator into the total build
- Build two chambers, one being the lager chamber and the second being the ale chamber
- Build a bar on top to make it look nice
- Incorporate storage into the total concept so my wife gets all of my beer glasses out of the kitchen
- Make my wife happy because I cleaned up the mess that was my basement fermentation/kegerator area (yes…I actually got brownie points for doing this!)

Here’s a nice picture of the Before:
IMG_2035.jpg

First things first, I needed to find a way to make this all work. As I mentioned, I researched and found out I needed to get a freezer to make sure I could provide lagering/cold crashing temps. I found this freezer on Amazon.com http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MMRFRRK/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

After that I measured out the dimensions of my fermenters (60 liter Speidel Fermenters) as well as my 2 tap home made Danby Kegerator. Once I had those measurements I framed out the base.

IMG_2140.jpg

Now the fun part…Cutting and installing all of the insulation. I used the 1” pink insulation from Home Depot. After about 3 hours of cutting pieces to size, taping them in with metal tape, and cutting my hands a bunch I was finally done. I slid in the kegerator to make sure my measurements weren’t completely off and called it a night.

IMG_2142.jpg

After much research I decided to go with the new Ohmbrew Fermostats to control my temperature. I know I could have gone with cheaper options, but I like the control of being able to program my fermentation schedules. I’ve been using them for a few beers now and I couldn’t be happier!

IMG_2151.jpg

Now that I had the Lager Chamber ready to roll, it was time to brew my Rye IPA and try this sucka out! Here's a pic of the Brew Rig.

IMG_2156.jpg

Well…It held temperature pretty well…but oh my god…there was so much condensation from all of the seams. Bright side I was able to hook up my hose from the Co2 tank and transfer the IPA into the keg without moving the fermenter. No moving you fermenter = clean transfer and a happy back.

IMG_2154.jpg

After a few weeks of being busy with work and a nice long California vacation (hit 15 breweries in 10 days) I was back at it. Now it was time to get the storage above the chamber figured out. The wife suggested we get something nice so we went to Ikea (I was just going to build something myself…it was a good call to listen to her).

IMG_2253.jpg

On a side note…because the Speidel fermenters are so large I can also fit 4 corny kegs in this bad boy! Which means I can chill my kegs to 35 degrees and carbonate – boo yah!

IMG_2273.jpg

Another few weeks later, I finally got around to doing the bar top. I decided to go with traditional redwood flooring from Home Depot. It took some time and effort, but they really turned out nice. Oh and I got a 19” drip tray from a local brewing supplies store. And it has a drain spout! Filling growlers is super easy now. All excess beer just gets dumped down the spout to a bucket. It’s beautifully simple.

IMG_2293.jpg

Since my last brew, I used the foam spray stuff from Home Depot and sealed up every possible air gap in this thing. It took some time…but now my two chambers don’t leak at all. No more condensation and near flawless temperature control (.5 degree variable programed on the Fermostat).

IMG_2290.jpg

The next thing I need to do is figure out how to keep the darn doors shut. Because of the insulation and tape they won’t stay closed without something sitting in front of them. It must be nice to know a finishing carpenter…but I do not. Oh well, at least I can brew beer!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice build. As I understand it, you're using a small freezer to provide the cool air, but how then are you getting this into your seperate chambers? Are the thermostats wired to fans with ducting? Or does the ale chamber just get cooled through the dividing wall?

As for your doors, can you get some simple magnetic door latches or similar?

Good point, I didn't explain that.

The lager chamber is cooled by the freezer with an 80mm computer fan pushing air around so the entire chamber gets cold air.

The ale chamber has another 80mm fan on the lager side pushing cold air through a 3" hole at the bottom rear of the chamber. Then I have another fan at the top of the chamber on the front pushing air back to the lager chamber. This way I have cold air coming in, the heat rises and I push the hot air back to the lager chamber to cool off again. As for the heating, I just have the old lightbulb in a can trick.

To keep the doors shut I put one of those .99 pin latch things that you see on some cabinets. I tried the magnets but I needed a little more strength. So now they shut I just need to paint the exterior so it looks complete. I did get the doors framed out so they look a little nicer.

FullSizeRender-18.jpg

Wow, that is sexy. Just built a keezer, but after seeing this, I am getting the itch to build more! SWMBO goes out of town for a week next month.. probably best to ask for forgiveness than permission, right?

However, since I already have a keezer, how well do you think a three chamber would fair? That way I can lager/cold condition/carb, lager ferment, and ale ferment. Alternatively, I may just go with a two chamber and have a conditioning chamber and ferment chamber that I can adjust to the beer type.

My attention to detail wont let me not mention the unstained edge of that table...! Doesnt that drive you nuts!? :D

Other than that it looks great! :D

YES it did! I have since then stained the edge and painted the front white. The next plan is to get some sort of signage so I can show what is in each chamber. I'll get pics next week. I'm out of town for work right now.

Nice work! I'm hoping to have something like that some day!

So that small freezer is enough to keep both the lager chamber and ale chamber happy?

Yep! I can maintain lagering temps in the left chamber (34 degrees or 50 during fermentation) and ale temps in the right chamber (63 to 88 depending on bier). All in all it's been a great investment.

Latest posts

Back