Drying spent grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mojavejohn

Reaction score
I'm in the process of drying some spent grains from a batch of beer. This is my first attempt. These things STINK! Is it normal for them to smell sour when you're drying them? I waited about 3 hr's or so before starting to dry them. I left them in the hot mash tun, 56 QT. converted cooler, so they were still pretty warm when I started. They didn't stink at all when I started. I spread them on a couple cookie sheets about a 1/2" thick. I placed them in the oven overnight, at about 170. I didn't drain the wort really well before putting them on the cookie sheets. They weren't soaking, but were pretty wet. I also loaded up my dehydrator at the same time. I took everything out of the house and they've been outside for the last 8 hours. They are still damp and stinky. I think it's time to toss them and try again next time. What do you think?

The one time I tried it I got a nice toasty smell. The only thing I did different was a thinner layer, and my oven's lowest setting was 200. Family didn't particularly like the bread I made with it, so I haven't bothered since.

I think spent grains quickly degrade to something that reeks of dead flesh. I know that there must be a proper technique, a local pizza place makes outstanding dough out of them. Never been so lucky myself.

I think spent grains quickly degrade to something that reeks of dead flesh. I know that there must be a proper technique, a local pizza place makes outstanding dough out of them. Never been so lucky myself.

The one time I tried it I got a nice toasty smell. The only thing I did different was a thinner layer, and my oven's lowest setting was 200. Family didn't particularly like the bread I made with it, so I haven't bothered since.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm thinking that the layer is to thick, they were to wet to begin with and that I left them in the mash tun to long. Three strikes and you're out....Pee-you!

Wet grains will be subject to lactobacillus and pediococcus, if not other bacteria, taking hold rapidly and fermenting. Quick souring. Fast drying and heating is going to be necessary.

I usually squeeze out excess moisture and freeze a few cups. When i'm ready to make bread or cookies I let it thaw for a few hours, run it through the food processor and mix it into my dough or batter.

Yes, spent grains rot very quickly. I usually dump them from the bag into a black trash bag and tie it up for the curb pickup. Flies start buzzing arond it before I can get the bag tired shut. If I were to try making bread with it, I believe I'd take a scoop of the spent grains after the final draining and put it directly into the bread recipie, reducing the water in the dough to account for the residual water in the grain.

Back