Dry yeasts identified - your opinions please!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think BE-256 is a Saison strain. It does not have any of the style characteristics. I do think that as far as dry yeast go, BE-256 has some good things going on, like decent flocculation, sedimentation, quick fermentation, no stalling and attenuates well over 80-82%. Can easily be used for bigger, darker beers. I will add, that even if it's not one of the most expressive yeast ever, it will still leave a bit of character in pale beers, where there is no malt/hop support.

I think I made a weaker 2% pale with it once, and it was still tasty because of the yeast. I liked it. There was definitely something contributed from the yeast itself which went into belgian direction, although, with such a weak beer it is always hard to judge as the yeast expression is limited anyway due to the low amount of sugar available.

I don't think BE-256 is a Saison strain. It does not have any of the style characteristics. I do think that as far as dry yeast go, BE-256 has some good things going on, like decent flocculation, sedimentation, quick fermentation, no stalling and attenuates well over 80-82%. Can easily be used for bigger, darker beers. I will add, that even if it's not one of the most expressive yeast ever, it will still leave a bit of character in pale beers, where there is no malt/hop support.
I'm not even sure it can be called a "proper" Belgian yeast. The name "abbey" is certainly misplaced, in my personal opinion. I just tasted my tripel which I fermented with BE-256. (Prematurely, after 6 weeks. I was going to let it mature for 3 months but I'm having a major patience failure right now.) So far I'm disappointed. The beer came out much stronger than I anticipated due to the high attenuation (from 1.086 all the way down to 1.004) so alcohol is fairly pronounced, but not hot or sharp. But even though I fermented at a fairly low temperature for an ale like this (I started at 18C and ramped it up to 19C over the course of 2 days, then left it there) there is nothing on the palate but banana and diacetyl. Maybe more time will improve it, but so far I'm not a real fan of this yeast.

I'm not even sure it can be called a "proper" Belgian yeast. The name "abbey" is certainly misplaced, in my personal opinion. I just tasted my tripel which I fermented with BE-256. (Prematurely, after 6 weeks. I was going to let it mature for 3 months but I'm having a major patience failure right now.) So far I'm disappointed. The beer came out much stronger than I anticipated due to the high attenuation (from 1.086 all the way down to 1.004) so alcohol is fairly pronounced, but not hot or sharp. But even though I fermented at a fairly low temperature for an ale like this (I started at 18C and ramped it up to 19C over the course of 2 days, then left it there) there is nothing on the palate but banana and diacetyl. Maybe more time will improve it, but so far I'm not a real fan of this yeast.
At least it's nice in sub 3% session beer., So if your got something left, you know what to use it for.

Also, per the genetic data, Whitbread had 6 wet production strains and other dry variants of the B strain. Are we oblivious to the fact that Whitbread yeast isn't just the A and B strain. And Charles Wells uses a Whitbread dry derivative, per the old article in Journal of Brewing. And, lastly, in my own experience running tests on different yeast while looking at hop oils, S-04 is a high lactic yeast via HPLC. And now to drink another 16 oz of coffee and get some work done.... ;)
Interesting read. Thanks for sharing

I'm not even sure it can be called a "proper" Belgian yeast.

I agree on most accounts, but BE-256 certainly does attenuate like a Belgian high gravity yeast, minus the finicky nature of 3787 which sometimes stalls near 1.020-ish. I have used BE-256 to ferment several VERY high gravity imperial stouts which finished from 17 to almost 20% ABV and had little-to-no yeast character. BE-256 regularly takes my 1.100 beers to 1.016 or lower which can be problematic because some beers like stouts can end up too dry.

Fermentis WB-06 = M47 Abbey = WLP570 = 1388 (I know! I never saw this coming, but it might fit!?)

I emailed Mangrove Jack's about M47 and found that it is not a diasaticus yeast. My understanding is that WB-06 is. Using this distinction might help with identifying other yeasts as well.

You've got to be a bit careful with the diastaticus thing as a lot of yeast have broken STA1 genes, which means they are "diastaticus positive" in DNA tests, but diastaticus negative in brewing tests. So you've got to make sure what you mean by "diastaticus" - suregork got a whole paper out of that one....

I agree on most accounts, but BE-256 certainly does attenuate like a Belgian high gravity yeast, minus the finicky nature of 3787 which sometimes stalls near 1.020-ish.
It does indeed attenuate like there's no tomorrow, leaving no maltotriose at all, which means only dextrins contribute to the beer's body and allowing you to create beers with the starting gravity of a small black hole that still come out very drinkable. However, I would hesitate to call this typical for a Belgian high gravity yeast. The attenuation of, say, WLP540 (originally taken from the Rochefort trappist brewery strain) is far more moderate, which creates a beer far closer to what I know as the genuine Belgian profile. I do know that in the US most Belgian styles are currently being presented in American presentations of the style, so BE-256 may be more appropriate there, but as far as the "native" Belgian beers are concerned, such a high attenuation is not typical. It is convenient for the brewer, of course, since other Belgian yeasts can take far too much time to ferment the beer out all the way, leading to overcarbonated bottle conditioned beers, but with BE-256, done is done. So from a commercial brewing standpoint the fermentation kinetics of BE-256 are preferable and give the brewer much greater control over the the final product, creating a far more stable beer. My biggest gripe with BE-256, other than the need to ferment unusually cool to prevent a banana explosion, is that it's POF negative which, in my opinion, immediately rules it out as an Abbey style yeast.

Wyeast 3787 / WLP530 (originated at Westmalle) is more in line with the traditional attenuation of Belgian strains, and is properly POF+. And yes, most "real" Belgian strains can be finicky, especially when it comes to completing the fermentation. How do those darn monks do that to get it right every time? :)

I have used BE-256 to ferment several VERY high gravity imperial stouts which finished from 17 to almost 20% ABV and had little-to-no yeast character. BE-256 regularly takes my 1.100 beers to 1.016 or lower which can be problematic because some beers like stouts can end up too dry.
BE-256 is indeed a great yeast for that sort of style! And that's exactly it: I'm not saying it's a bad yeast, because it isn't! It's just not an Abbey yeast. But then, in the past Fermentis positioned S-33 as a yeast suitable for Belgian styles, while it's really EDME yeast. Go figure.

As for your impy stouts ending up too dry, the answer would be to mash at a higher temperature and get some dextrins into the wort (or add some dextrin malt) since with BE-256 dextrins are your only option as far as residuals are concerned.

Last edited:
Ok, for what it's worth, BE134 is a diastaticus yeast, while BE256 is not.
Which is interesting, because in practiice the attenuation of both yeasts are often pretty much the same. The differences in specified attenuation (825 vs 90%) in most worts BE-256 happy ferments all the way down from 1.080 or so to 1.004 (i.e. 95% attenuation). So only in dextrinous worts these yeasts would show significant differences in performance. But the idea with Belgian beers is to mash cool so as to maximize wort fermentability. However, for a Saison yeast this would be appropriate, Saisons traditionally having been brewed with non-Barley grains in the mix.

BE-134 is also POF+ which, in my book, makes it more of a "real Belgian yeast" than BE-256. However, being a Diastaticus variant, using BE-135 you will always end up with very highly attenuated beers while some heavy Belgians really need some body.

You can't seem to win with Fermentis... :)

Last edited:
I emailed Mangrove Jack's about M47 and found that it is not a diasaticus yeast. My understanding is that WB-06 is. Using this distinction might help with identifying other yeasts as well.
I've got M47 listed as repacked Fermentis T-58 which is not a diastaticus variant.

Unfortunately Lallemand seems to be the only yeast supplier providing diastaticus information at this time (neither Lallemand nor Mangrove Jack specify it as part of their regular product data) so the diastaticus classification would indeed be helpful in identifying yeasts, if only everyone would supply complete and conclusive product data... :(

Lots to think about in your last few posts. I generally use BE134 for golden strong ales, saisons, and sometimes in a tripel, while generally using BE256 for quads with a stepped mash.

Lots to think about in your last few posts. I generally use BE134 for golden strong ales, saisons, and sometimes in a tripel, while generally using BE256 for quads with a stepped mash.
Isn't BE-134 a little too rich in spicy phenols for a Golden Strong ale? From what I understand, Golden Strong ale yeasts tend to be either POF- or have a muted phenol profile. Duvel (which pretty much has defined that style category single-handedly) is a good example: the spicy phenols are there, but only just.

Isn't BE-134 a little too rich in spicy phenols for a Golden Strong ale? From what I understand, Golden Strong ale yeasts tend to be either POF- or have a muted phenol profile. Duvel (which pretty much has defined that style category single-handedly) is a good example: the spicy phenols are there, but only just.
Yup, I'm experimenting. I don't try to nail a style, I'm brewing for what I like to drink (and FWIW, I don't care for Duvel too much!). Mostly, a dry, crisp, and tasty beer.

For instance, my latest batch of tripel is a Westmalle tripel clone. Pretty simple recipe of Belgian Pils and cane sugar, step mashed. Styrian Goldings @ 60, Tettnang @ 15, and Saaz @ 5. Recipe calls for WLP 530 or WY 3787 (which I didn't have). OG 1.081; FG 1.009; IBU 39; SRM 5. ABV 9.5%.
Ok. Followed the recipe pretty closely, except I used 1 packet of WLP530, and added a pack of dry Danstar Abbaye in a 2L starter.
My OG was a point low at 1.080, but my FG was a bit lower at 1.004, with an ABV of 9.98%. 95% attenuation.
Bottle carbed to 3.3 volumes, with CBC-1 added at bottling.
Bottle conditioning at 75°F. This has been in the bottle a week now, and there is evidence of the corks backing out, thank God for muselets! I'm going to sample one tonight, it's looking like Belgian champagne!

Last edited:

I've made golden strongs a few times, always with Wyeast 3711 (liquid). Excellent for this style. Sorry, I know it's not dry yeast.

I've got M47 listed as repacked Fermentis T-58 which is not a diastaticus variant.

Unfortunately Lallemand seems to be the only yeast supplier providing diastaticus information at this time (neither Lallemand nor Mangrove Jack specify it as part of their regular product data) so the diastaticus classification would indeed be helpful in identifying yeasts, if only everyone would supply complete and conclusive product data... :(

M47 is likely WB-06...

M47 is likely WB-06...
I seriously doubt it, Dave. Looking at the specs, M47 is positioned as a Belgian style yeast, has a temperature range of 18-25 C, an apparent attenuation of 73-77% and a medium to high flocculation. WB-06 is positioned as a Weizen yeast, has a temperature range of 12-25 C, an attenuation specified at 86% (but being a diastaticus variant in practice you can easily reach an apparent attenuation of 90% or more) and has a low flocculation. So they don't line up at all.

I believe M47 is T-58. The latter matches M47 much better in terms of product specs.

I seriously doubt it, Dave. Looking at the specs, M47 is positioned as a Belgian style yeast, has a temperature range of 18-25 C, an apparent attenuation of 73-77% and a medium to high flocculation. WB-06 is positioned as a Weizen yeast, has a temperature range of 12-25 C, an attenuation specified at 86% (but being a diastaticus variant in practice you can easily reach an apparent attenuation of 90% or more) and has a low flocculation. So they don't line up at all.

I believe M47 is T-58. The latter matches M47 much better in terms of product specs.

Regardless of the positioning, WB-06 isn't a weizen yeast, its DNA clearly shows that it's a member of the saison family most closely related to the homebrew strains linked to Duvel.

The flocculation doesn't match M47, clearly - but MJ currently just say M47 has "high" attenuation - and the exact numbers depends a fair bit on exactly what the test wort is.

I've made golden strongs a few times, always with Wyeast 3711 (liquid). Excellent for this style. Sorry, I know it's not dry yeast.
No, but Mangrove Jack's M29 "French Saison" is, and also makes (IMO) a very fine Golden Strong. (Also Dark Strong.) Not surprisingly since there appears to be agreement that it and Belle Saison are basically dry versions of 3711.

Regardless of the positioning, WB-06 isn't a weizen yeast, its DNA clearly shows that it's a member of the saison family most closely related to the homebrew strains linked to Duvel.
Genetically, maybe, but it has the fermentation kinetics and ester/phenol flavour profile of a Weizen yeast and is excellently suited for brewing that style. Just about all craft breweries here use WB-06 for Weizen. So if it looks, walks, quacks and tastes like a duck... :)

The flocculation doesn't match M47, clearly - but MJ currently just say M47 has "high" attenuation - and the exact numbers depends a fair bit on exactly what the test wort is.
In the most recent version of their data sheet (V6) they still specify M47 a Belgian Abbey yeast with "exceptional" levels of fruity esters and low levels of phenols, 73-77% attenuation, 8% alcohol tolerance and level 5 (on a scale of 1-5) attenuation, 18-25°C. I'm not seeing WB-06 here. T-58 is still the closest one for my money.

As soon as the temperatures go down (it's 30+ Celsius in the shade here right now) I'm going to do a back-to-back split batch test of the whole damn range. :)

No, but Mangrove Jack's M29 "French Saison" is, and also makes (IMO) a very fine Golden Strong. (Also Dark Strong.) Not surprisingly since there appears to be agreement that it and Belle Saison are basically dry versions of 3711.
M29 = Belle Saison, but are these in fact dried 3711 or do they just perform very similarly?

M29 = Belle Saison, but are these in fact dried 3711 or do they just perform very similarly?

I don't know about 3711, but I haven't found a way yet, to get a decent yeast character or of belle saison. It's a great and reliable yeast, but it lacks strong yeast characters which I would expect in a saison, very little pepper, if some at all.

Maybe it's the drying process. It is supposed to be the original Dupont strain. Don't remember having a Dupont myself, but I read that their saisons should be excellent, so I expect a good yeast punch in their saisons.

Next time I brew with Belle Saison, I'm gonna do a stepped starter with a small amount of the dry yeast, trying to get the generations that end up in the final beer as far away as possible from the generations that were dried. Maybe that does the trick?

I don't know about 3711, but I haven't found a way yet, to get a decent yeast character or of belle saison. It's a great and reliable yeast, but it lacks strong yeast characters which I would expect in a saison, very little pepper, if some at all.

Maybe it's the drying process. It is supposed to be the original Dupont strain.

AFAIK that would make it related to WLP565/6 (not sure what the difference between 565 and 566 is; both are supposedly Dupont) and WLP3724. However, the drying process can significantly change the performance of a yeast, and yeast tends to adapt itself to different environmental conditions in any case, and to stresses (e.g. drying) in particular. So how far both the White Labs and Wyeast products are still similar to Dupont is debatable (just like WLP500 is no longer identical to the current Chimay house yeast) and I have no trouble believing that drying is a major factor in performance differences between Belle Saison and Dupont.

Don't remember having a Dupont myself, but I read that their saisons should be excellent, so I expect a good yeast punch in their saisons.

Next time I brew with Belle Saison, I'm gonna do a stepped starter with a small amount of the dry yeast, trying to get the generations that end up in the final beer as far away as possible from the generations that were dried. Maybe that does the trick?
That should be interesting. Please keep us posted!

BRY-97 is most closely related to bread yeasts. But a damn good one for making ales!
Hello I just made my first batch and I want to know if Red Star Active Dry Yeast is the right yeast to use and how long in 2liters plastic bottles if I made it Last Saturday bottling after the yeast and setting them under the cold porch

Genetically, maybe, but it has the fermentation kinetics and ester/phenol flavour profile of a Weizen yeast and is excellently suited for brewing that style. Just about all craft breweries here use WB-06 for Weizen. So if it looks, walks, quacks and tastes like a duck... :)

I have never used this yeast myself, but there is a very clear consensus among German homebrewers (on the hobbybrauer.de forum and those that I know in person) that it is not suitable for Hefeweizen. One of the moderators of the forum reported talking to employees the manufacturer at some event and having them admit it was not a Hefeweizen strain.
YES, this is very much second-hand at this point, I'm just a random guy on the internet who picked up something from some other guy on the internet. Anecdotal at best. (Luckily, Vale71 cannot read this post and roast me for being a troll, as that has already happened.)

I think the issue most people have with the yeast is that the beer comes out too dry, sharp and tangy, with a strange sort of bitter harshness.

I have never used this yeast myself, but there is a very clear consensus among German homebrewers (on the hobbybrauer.de forum and those that I know in person) that it is not suitable for Hefeweizen. One of the moderators of the forum reported talking to employees the manufacturer at some event and having them admit it was not a Hefeweizen strain.
YES, this is very much second-hand at this point, I'm just a random guy on the internet who picked up something from some other guy on the internet. Anecdotal at best. (Luckily, Vale71 cannot read this post and roast me for being a troll, as that has already happened.)

I think the issue most people have with the yeast is that the beer comes out too dry, sharp and tangy, with a strange sort of bitter harshness.

Greetings fellow troll, and let me welcome you to troll land. You will see (Vale will not), there are many of us among the fellow homebrewers within this very forum that have been appointed troll by his highness the great Vale71 (may he live long and prosperous). So welcome to the club, sit back, relax, have a homebrew and enjoy the companionship of some of the most knowledgeable trolls the whole wide internet has to offer :)

Hello I just made my first batch and I want to know if Red Star Active Dry Yeast is the right yeast to use and how long in 2liters plastic bottles if I made it Last Saturday bottling after the yeast and setting them under the cold porch

Red Star Active Dry Yeast is intended for making bread and is not often used for making beer. You'll still get beer, but don't be surprised if it has a sort of tart flavor and tastes more bready than other beers. Next time, try any of an array of other dried yeasts from a homebrew shop. Check out Danstar-Lallemand, Fermentis, and Mangrove Jack brands, just to name a few.

I found WB-06 to be not very good in a hefeweizen. More tartness than anything resembling clove or banana. At least the couple times I have tried it.

Munich Classic makes a very good weizen, WB-06 does not (imo of course :) ).

I've never heard of Belle Saison being related to the Dupont yeast, it is not really like it imo and I've used it quite a few times (and like it) and have drunk many a litre of Saison Dupont. Albeit never compared beers made with belle saison directly with saison dupont.

The main things I get from Belle Saison is a slightly pepperyness, a bit of lemon/citrus flavour, great attenuation and a big body as it produces so much glycerol, noticably more than any other yeast I've used. It also drops bright.

Last edited:
I'm in South Africa (the backside of the world, by most accounts) and I agree that a South African brewed Weizen (almost invariably with WB-06) is not on par with imported bottles of German Hefeweizen. That said, it's the closest thing Fermentis supplies, and since Fermentis has the entire SA market for dried brewing yeast cornered (mostly because Lallemand's local distributor doesn't seem interested in selling these yeasts and Lallemand doesn't seem interested in changing that) WB-06 is pretty much what we've got. Some larger microbreweries (millibreweries, rather) in the Cape probably use liquid strains since their products are a lot better, but else in the country it's all WB-06.

Well, that's pretty much a rite of passage here, isn't it? :)

It does indeed have its drawbacks. However, it is definitely possible to brew a decent Weizen with it. Most brewers use 2nd and/or 3rd generation WB-06 which suggests that the drying process may play a role here. Most agree, however, that if you want to make a Kristallweizen with it, filtering is a *****.

I've never heard of Belle Saison being related to the Dupont yeast

I think people are suggesting Belle Saison is the dry-yeast equivalent of wyeast 3711 French Saison, which "the internet" assumes to be Thiriez' yeast (as opposed to 3724, which is supposed to be Dupont's strain or 'one of Dupont's strains', depending on the source).

I don't like Belle Saison (or MJs "French Saison", which I fathom is the same) very much. A lot of homebrewers describe the resulting beer as "dry", but I very very strongly disagree. The residual extract will be super low (often <1.0), but the beer is actually quite sweet and full bodied, which I guess comes from the tons of glycerol it produces. I guess the low residual extract somehow tricks people's minds into thinking it was "dry". (Or, possibly, my own perception is off)

A craft brewery in Hamburg made a "Brut IPA" using that yeast, and while it wasn't bad, it definitely wasn't "brut".

I think people are suggesting Belle Saison is the dry-yeast equivalent of wyeast 3711 French Saison, which "the internet" assumes to be Thiriez' yeast (as opposed to 3724, which is supposed to be Dupont's strain or 'one of Dupont's strains', depending on the source).

I don't like Belle Saison (or MJs "French Saison", which I fathom is the same) very much. A lot of homebrewers describe the resulting beer as "dry", but I very very strongly disagree. The residual extract will be super low (often <1.0), but the beer is actually quite sweet and full bodied, which I guess comes from the tons of glycerol it produces. I guess the low residual extract somehow tricks people's minds into thinking it was "dry". (Or, possibly, my own perception is off)

A craft brewery in Hamburg made a "Brut IPA" using that yeast, and while it wasn't bad, it definitely wasn't "brut".

I agree, it is only dry on the paper but the actual taste is far away from being dry. I actually like that very much because it is not sweet either. I just miss something there on regards to yeast expression which I would expect from a saison strain.

I agree, it is only dry on the paper but the actual taste is far away from being dry. I actually like that very much because it is not sweet either. I just miss something there on regards to yeast expression which I would expect from a saison strain.

I get pepper and lemon and the slightest hints of "Belgian" flavor, whatever that means. I'm not sure how else a saison is supposed to taste but that hits all the marks for me.

I've no idea if Belle or 3711 are actually from Dupont. They might be, and might not be. What I do think is that they are very similar strains, same performance, same characters.

I'll also agree that the final beer tastes not as dry as the FG shows. Thanks @monkeymath for the additional info assuming it's true.

I get pepper and lemon and the slightest hints of "Belgian" flavor, whatever that means. I'm not sure how else a saison is supposed to taste but that hits all the marks for me.

I've no idea if Belle or 3711 are actually from Dupont. They might be, and might not be. What I do think is that they are very similar strains, same performance, same characters.

I'll also agree that the final beer tastes not as dry as the FG shows. Thanks @monkeymath for the additional info assuming it's true.
Yes, i also get these flavours but heavily muted compared to the good saisons I had. Those where bombs of yeast flavour, whereas belle is just a small hint of it in comparison. I tried fermenting it high, low, high og, low og... Just stays muted in flavour.

Back