Dry Yeast Semi-Miracle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well, I finally got around to cleaning out the old refrig. Some of you guys/gals may not have been born the last time I cleaned it. Stuck way back in a corner behind a couple of bottles of Sam Adams 1995 "Double Bock" and Harvest Ale from the same decade I found some packs of assorted dry yeasts. They were mostly from Danstar, Lallemand, and Fermentis. They mostly outdated around 2011 and had been stored in a refrig not a freezer. Was going to trash them but had this "what the hell" idea that I should see if they were still alive. We old guys have lots of time on our hands for this sort of falderol so...I made up some extract broth and gave it a shot. It has been twenty four hours and some of them are blowing out the tops of the tubes (Safale S-05) and all of them look like they are still alive! The oldest was a pack of Danstar Manchester which hasn't been made in eons. The BB date was not legible. I loved this yeast and now I have it back. Going to rename it the "Lazarus" strain. The odors suggest the yeast are fermenting clean.

Despite frequent comments from my "friends" that I could be the poster boy for senile dementia (which is a mostly unwarranted epithet) I am not suggesting these old packs could be used for direct pitching. But I have recovered two yeasts that are no longer around and can ranch them.

Sam Adams Dopplebock in the deep cobalt blue bottles with the cork! Oooh.. good memories of that! I'd love to find another bottle to try one more time...

Dry yeast should keep for 15 to 20 years in a fridge. Should assume loss in viability after a few years and do a starter rather than just pitching.

I have some 20-something year old packets of yeast in a little Tupperware container in my fridge. EDME ale yeast, something with no brand name on it that just says "Danish Lager", Red Star flor sherry, and some other less interesting wine yeasts. I assume they are still good, barely.

I have some 20-something year old packets of yeast in a little Tupperware container in my fridge. EDME ale yeast, something with no brand name on it that just says "Danish Lager", Red Star flor sherry, and some other less interesting wine yeasts. I assume they are still good, barely.

Add a pack to the boil each brew. It will be food/nutrients for the primary yeast. I have a lot of old (no-name) packs of yeast that I add to the boil when I make a high gravity brew.

These may be the last viable samples of EDME and Red Star sherry yeast. I will try to revive them and use them someday, and maybe freeze samples with a little glycerin. I can use bread yeast or leftover yeast slurry for nutrients.

I can use bread yeast or leftover yeast slurry for nutrients.

I assume that was a question; "I can" instead of "Can I". Bread yeast can be used as yeast nutrient. Not sure of the quality/quantity of slurry.

Back