Dry yeast for Dampfbier?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eulipion2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've decided to brew a dampfbier:

7 lb Weyermann pils
4 lb Weyermann dark Munich
~20 IBU Tettnang - 60 min
1 oz Tettnang - 5 min

But I'm hung up on the yeast. Traditionally this style would be brewed with a hefe yeast, and I almost exclusively use dry yeasts due to availability and freshness, but the one hefe yeast with which I have experience, Danstar Munich Classic, didn't really work for me (e.g. no banana or clove in my dunkelweizen.)

I'm leaning toward Mangrove Jack M20, but can be persuaded to use something else. I might be able to snag a liquid strain, but my local shops aren't so great with fresh yeasts. Has anyone used dry yeast in a dampfbier, and if so, what has and hasn't worked for you?

I haven't tried M20, but have tried Munich Classic two times in the last 2 months, each time resulting in very good hefes. Plenty og banana, overriped banana, clove and some other fruit. Balanced tartness, acidity, great mouthfeel, even when mashed low.

Fermentation temps. were between 71 and 75F. Each time, it went through my oversized Speidel airlock and made a mess. Each time, it was done in 3 days and ready to drink in 2 weeks from brew day. I get plenty of banana and clove - I'm not a clove fan - but a low fermentation temp. like 62-64F will get you a more clovey beer.

A Dampfbier is on my list for this autumn, and I hope I will get to brew it sooner.

When I saw the title, Danstar Munich Classic was the first thing I thought of.

I used WY-3333 when I did a dampfbier last year. (I know you're looking for a dry yeast) I don't think you're going to get much clove with an all-barley beer. T-58 or WB-06 might work. When I've used T-58 and fermented a wheat beer really warm, there was plenty of banana but it was not overpowering.

I ended up going with the M20, currently sitting at 72°. My only problem with MJ yeasts is the extended lag time, but it's what my LHBS had, and they generally give me good results. I'll hopefully see signs of fermentation by tomorrow.

So, I just tasted it (5 days) and I think it's about ready to go. Tastes pretty fantastic! I'll keg it and possibly enter it in some comps in the Historical Beer category -- "other" -- which requires the brewer to submit guidelines by which to judge the entry. Would "Warm-fermented (70°+) all-barley take on a hefeweizen" be adequate?

So, I just tasted it (5 days) and I think it's about ready to go. Tastes pretty fantastic! I'll keg it and possibly enter it in some comps in the Historical Beer category -- "other" -- which requires the brewer to submit guidelines by which to judge the entry. Would "Warm-fermented (70°+) all-barley take on a hefeweizen" be adequate?

Maybe give them a printout of this article, or one like it? http://allaboutbeer.com/article/dampfbier-gose-munster-altbier/

So, I brewed this last Sunday, kegged it this Sunday at 30 psi, dropped to 11 psi on Tuesday (and bottled a couple competition entries on Wednesday,) and it's drinking very nicely right now. I love fast beers!

Back