Dry Windsor yeast Explosion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

capparella

Reaction score
I added the the dry windsor yeast to my chilled wort after activiating it and it started fermenting right away (6 hours). It was bubbling fine for the first 12 hours then I left for the day to come back to a mess in the shower. I guess the blow off tube had gotten clogged and it sprayed all over the place. I took off the blow off tube and cork, re-sanitized, and placed it back on. It bubbled again, much slower, for another 6-8 hours. It has now completely stopped bubbling. I had this happen several years ago, and after bottling and sitting, the beer was very flat, no carbonation. I was thinking maybe I need to add a little more yeast to the carboy to ensure full fermentation? Thoughts anyone? Just don't want another batch of non-carbonated beer.

If you are getting excessively fast fermentations, look into your temperature control.

In any case, a fast fermentation doesn't indicate an incomplete fermentation, and moreover an incomplete fermentation won't lead to under-carbonation. In fact, partial fermentation can cause over-carbonation (and, in extreme cases, bottle bombs).

The only way to know if your fermentation is complete will be to use your hydrometer.

My readings pre fermentation were- 16, 1.066, 8.5 and I pitched @72 degrees , what should my readings be now to know that fermentation is complete?

My readings pre fermentation were- 16, 1.066, 8.5 and I pitched @72 degrees , what should my readings be now to know that fermentation is complete?

Impossible to tell...FG relies on a million different factors. What I do is I take a FG reading when I think it is ready for bottling, then I take another one 3 days or so later. If it hasn't changed, I figure the beer is ready to go.

I wouldn't be able to tell if I lost too much yeast in the explosion though to complete the fermentation though right? Would it be too late to add more just to make sure?

capparella said:
I wouldn't be able to tell if I lost too much yeast in the explosion though to complete the fermentation though right? Would it be too late to add more just to make sure?

It doesn't really work like that. There's still plenty of yeast in there to get the job done. As mentioned, there's no precise way to predict you final gravity, but look in the neighborhood of 1.010-1.020.

Also, 72 is quite warm for that yeast, especially if that was 72 ambient.

Also, 72 is quite warm for that yeast, especially if that was 72 ambient.

I used it before in a dark wheat and pitched around 68, worked very well. I thought 72 wasn't too far off. Really need to invest in a wort chiller...thanks for the info. Hope it turns out ok, I will take a few readings and see what happens.

Back