Dry spices in the secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mountainbrewdude

Reaction score
Hey guys, got a question. I brewed my pumpkin ale up and transfered it to the secondary today, and I added some dry spices, (cinnamon, allspice, and pumpkin pie spice) straight to it. I brewed with these spices and others at 10 minutes left, but added just a pinch dry while racking. Will this be fine, will the be any issues?

You could end up with problems, but probably not. Next time, heat them in a little bit of water or soak them in vodka.

Also, spices tend to fade fairly quickly, so you may want to add more at bottling time. For my pumpkin ale, I add 1.25tsp of cinnamon, .5tsp of nutmeg, and .25tsp of ginger, cloves, and all spice. I add all of these spices at flameout, secondary, and bottling in the same incriments. It comes out fantastic, but it fades after about 4 months. Still great, but mellow.

Thats about the amounts im adding at 10 minutes to go. Last year was the first year I brewed this, along with other ingredients, and was awesome! I think if I added that much at all 3 intervals it would be too much. Mine is based off an amber ale, yours?

Back