Dry Malt Extract vs. Liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bartman

Reaction score
Are there any real benefits to using DME vs LME. My next batch is going to be a Scotch ale that I have made in the past and it uses 9.9 lb of LME. My LHBS suggests I substitute bulk dry malt. What do you guys think?
Here is the recipe:
3 cans 3.3 lb M & F Plain Light Malt Extract
1 lb Crystal Malt
1 lb Weyermann Smoked Malt
¼ lb Chocolate malt
1 oz Perle Hop pellets
1 pkg yeast

This is my all time favorite brew. Sweet, smokey and strong. Did I mention it was STRONG!

:mug:Does the LBHS sell bulk LME? As long as the extract is fresh I use LME instead of dry, although I have used it all. Dry is more expensive but you can use 20% less so you don't have to buy as much. I stay away from canned extracts. Dry keeps longer if you buy it in bulk.:mug:

I agree with Willy...bulk LME is easiest for me because it's usually fresher (at least it is at my LHBS), it's quite a bit cheaper (about half the cost for me) and you get just the right amount you need for each brew, so you don't have to mess around with measuring yourself. Canned extract always seems to have that twang to me, so if I had to choose between canned LME and dry extract, I'd choose dry extract.

I always use DME instead of LME now. I used LME on my first two batches and both had the "extract twang" I kept hearing about. Since I started using DME, I haven't experienced the extract twang, which I really fear since I've been doing lighter brews. It's not so bad in the darker brews, and actually compliments the roasted character if it's not too strong.

I've always preferred the dry extract, unless it was a specialty item (like pilsen extract, which isn't available in a dry version). I think it's easier to handle if you have some left, and it stores better. I also think the taste is preferable to the liquid.

This is a new owner for an existing shop. He is young and seems quite knowledgeable. I did not see any bulk LME but I did see the barrel of DME. The cost was similar but I like the benefits I have read about the Dry.

Back