Dry hopping ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluphil52

Reaction score
Just done a boil today
Amarillo single hop

Pale malt5kg
Carpails malt 250grams

Amarillo 57 grams start of boil
Amarillo 27 grams last 15 mins of boil
Amarillo 27grams last 5 mins of boil
Amarillo 83 grams turn off boil

Now I'd like to dry hop this and it seems to be after 4/5 days ?!?
What if there is a yeast froth on top ?
Can I still put hops in?
And do I give a good stir?!?
How much hops in grams should I put in?

There's 20 litres in my fermenter.

4/5 days is probably not correct. You will want to dry hop some time after fermentation is completed. Do Not give anything a stir after it is in the fermenter.
Do you have a hydrometer? If so, take a gravity reading after the krausen (yeast froth) has ceased. Write that gravity reading down. The next day check the gravity again. If they are the same, then it will be okay to dry hop. (Some suggest 3 days in a row for the same gravity readings)

If you don't have a hydrometer, I would give it 7-10 days (I would suggest 10) to ferment at least. Wait until the beer has cleared and there's no visible yeast activity before you dry hop.

It depends what you are after. In a five gallon batch 1 ounce would probably be considered a very conservative amount. I typically use 2 ounces for an American pale ale. Some IPA's might call for several ounces. Best thing to do would be to use the search function in the recipe forums and search for the term dry hop to get a feel for what amounts are called for in various styles.

That's a personal preference question. I just put them straight in and there is nothing wrong with it. Others bag then to make them able to be fully submerged with the use other weighted items. It's up to you.

I'd toss in a ounce - er, I mean 28 g - Start by waiting for the kraeusen to drop, then toss the hops in. No need to stir. Give them a week to settle, then bottle.

Cheers!

Back