Dry Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesmith1611

Reaction score
Hey guys,
Anyone got any tips for dry hopping in secondary carboy? I am not going to use a bag and im using leaf hops. How much do i use and how long do i keep the hops in the carboy. I am going to do a honey pale ale and want some citris/floral notes. Also has any one/is it normal to dry hop a porter?

Not that I know of on the porter. Try using citra and amarillo for your citrus/floral notes. How hoppy do you want it? What volume are you dry hopping total. Do you want a lot of hop flavor or do you just want to reinforce what's in your boil? It's easier to dry hop in a bucket than a carboy. My opinion because it has more surface area especially since you're using whole hops.

Double_D said:
Not that I know of on the porter. Try using citra and amarillo for your citrus/floral notes. How hoppy do you want it? What volume are you dry hopping total. Do you want a lot of hop flavor or do you just want to reinforce what's in your boil? It's easier to dry hop in a bucket than a carboy. My opinion because it has more surface area especially since you're using whole hops.

I want a definate hop flavour but not over powering, it is a 5 gallon batch. Will give citra and amarillo a go. What amount of hops would you recommend?

I'd do a couple ounces of each for 7-10 days. The hops we're talking about will have a lighter flavor than if you had a bunch of simcoe or cascade in there. Plus it depends on the character of your beer. I'd definitely add some honey malt to your brain bill. Plus, if you added some honey to the very end of the boil it would bring everything together. If you really wanted to accentuate the honey flavor you could add it to secondary. What did you plan to do for the beer?

leaf hops will float on the surface. you might consider putting the leaf hops in a bag then use sanitized marbles (or other dense/heavy objects) to sink the bag. this will ensure more contact between the beer and the hops.

I've never had a problem. They do float. I have had luck pushing gently with a sanitized spoon just to get the stuff on top back in the beer.

If you think about it the style originated with beer sloshing around in a barrel. Similar procedure.

That said, I've had excellent results dry hopping with pellets.

I do plan on using honey malt and adding honey post boil, any idea of a good quantity to get the honey flavour through, is 1lb enough? And would i use honey malt in small quantities as a speciality malt? Thanks for the advice on dry hopping... 7 days in secondary loose i will try first then can always change the method if i dont get the desired results!

I've dry hopped with whole leaf my past few brews. Just use a sanitized funnel and push the hops thru. Slosh it around and done.

I've never dry hopped with more than 1 oz of whole leaf because I don't like it "stealing" my beer. :D

Another option if you're kegging is the steel ball in a bag method...in the keg of course.

I'd do a couple ounces of each for 7-10 days. The hops we're talking about will have a lighter flavor than if you had a bunch of simcoe or cascade in there.

i disagree. a couple oz of each is quite large for a pale ale, you're in IPA-realm there. 1-2oz total should be good, closer to the lower end depending on how much honey you want to come thru. also, I definitely wouldn't say amarillo & citra are lightered flavored than cascade, both are quite potent. also, citra is more tropical fruit than you're usual citrus/floral

I do plan on using honey malt and adding honey post boil, any idea of a good quantity to get the honey flavour through, is 1lb enough?

1lb should be plenty

i disagree. a couple oz of each is quite large for a pale ale, you're in IPA-realm there. 1-2oz total should be good, closer to the lower end depending on how much honey you want to come thru. also, I definitely wouldn't say amarillo & citra are lightered flavored than cascade, both are quite potent. also, citra is more tropical fruit than you're usual citrus/floral

1lb should be plenty

Depends what you're calling a pale ale I guess. The english style sure, I'm on the higher end. Sierra nevada pale ale not so much out of the ball park though. But what you're saying is half of my hops is the "lower end" so we could agree there's a range that would be acceptable depending, like I already said, on the character of the beer.

actually I was saying 1/4 of what you're saying for the lower end, i.e. 1oz. not sure which recipes for SNPA (or pretty much any APA for that matter), you've seen, but there's definitely not a 4oz dry hop in it. 2oz each of amarillo & citra, while delicious, would overpower a honey pale ale

As much for my benefit as anyone else's here's the BJCP guidelines. And while I don't have a problem saying I'm wrong, for a 5 gallon batch I am. I do ten and forget most people do 5. Sorry. Dry hopping not necessary.

Aroma: Usually moderate to strong hop aroma from dry hopping or late kettle additions of American hop varieties. A citrusy hop character is very common, but not required.

Flavor: Usually a moderate to high hop flavor, often showing a citrusy American hop character (although other hop varieties may be used). Low to moderately high clean malt character supports the hop presentation, and may optionally show small amounts of specialty malt character (bready, toasty, biscuity). The balance is typically towards the late hops and bitterness, but the malt presence can be substantial. Caramel flavors are usually restrained or absent. Fruity esters can be moderate to none. Moderate to high hop bitterness with a medium to dry finish. Hop flavor and bitterness often lingers into the finish. No diacetyl. Dry hopping (if used) may add grassy notes, although this character should not be excessive.

Citra as a dry hop is definitely potent as well as fantastic. I did 2 oz of pellets for 2 weeks in the secondary of an IPA and the aroma was terrific until the keg kicked.

Back