Dry hopping with pellets? is it possible?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RWeather3

Reaction score
I have some trouble getting whole hops . I tend to use pellets when I brew but I'm interested in dryhopping and wondered if you could use pellets for that too. My gut says I can't but I thought I'd put it out there to see if anyone ever tried it.

I almost exclusively use pellets, simply because leaf hops are harder to work with (clogs, absorbtion, etc.)

I dry hop probably 60% of the beers I make, all using pellets. I always use a hop bag though, because I feel like my beer turns out clearer this way. If I don't use one, I end up with hop particles floating in my beer when I keg. This isn't visually appealing, and it clogs kegs.

I do it all the time. It's a little harder to filter them our when you bottle or keg, but works fine otherwise.

I've done it. I don't even use a bag when I do, and I've never had a clogged siphon or any particles end up in my bottles.

Yup.

Pellets and no bag for me. I do sometimes get particles in the finished beer coming from the keg but those settle out fairly quickly and it's usually only the first couple of pints. Those are mine anyway. ;) I just try to be careful when I'm transferring to keg.

I too use pellets 90% of the time when I dry hop. Cold crashing the carboy settles out the particles and I have clear beer into the keg or bottling bucket.

I've taken to dry hopping in the keg lately, and thus far I've too used pellets. It seems to be the way to go. I bought a couple tea ball infusers from a local tea shop. Essentially they are stainless mesh balls with a little clasp to open. After sanitizing (via boil) I pack the suckers with about an ounce of pellets and insert directly into the keg before filling. Works like a charm! Plus they are easy to reuse for the next brew. Give it a try, and you can skip the dry hop in the secondary if you wish. You might be glad you did!

Back