Dry hopping sour/brett bottle conditioned beers...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes440

Reaction score
Basically, I'd like to know if there's any reason NOT to dry hop beers that will be bottle conditioned and possibly aged.

I've got a few beers bulk aging that are farmhouse inspired, Brett - conditioned in secondary, and I'm currently oaking them with various things (tawny port, chardonnay, Calvados) using oak cubes. I want to finish these beers with a dry hopping to add a finishing touch. I understand that the hop aroma will fade over time, and likely be depleted by >1 year in the bottle.

Is there any chance of off flavors from faded hops due to brett, bugs, or just time in the bottle?

Would the dry hopping aromas become unpleasant, or would the beer just remain as is, lacking the hop aroma? Some of these beers would be saved and aged for posterity and experimentation.

One that I have is a rye saison fermented with ecy03 that is getting 1.25 oz of chardonnay soaked hungarian oak cubes per 5 gal carboy. I want to dry hop 5 gal with 1.5oz citra/0.5 oz simcoe, and the other 5 gal with 2 oz crystal. This will be served at my wedding on Sept 26th, so I want to bottle at least 2 months prior to ensure good carbonation/bottle conditioning.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome, I want this beer to rock!

* as a side question, what yeast would you choose to bottle condition with? If I had the time I may just let the brett do it, but I'm leaning towards pitching fresh saison yeast, or possibly using champagne yeast to quickly carbonate the beer. I don't want to serve a flat beer at my wedding...*

Dry hop away. Brett changes the hop flavors over time in the bottle, and it scavenges oxygen so you don't have to worry about oxidized hops. I don't reyeast and my Brett saisons are carbed within a few weeks.

I have had some luck with Citra and Simcoe as dry hops in Brett secondary beers.
One of them went through a stage of tasting like pure lavender! Then it just went back and forth between fruit types and levels of ripeness

I have had some luck with Citra and Simcoe as dry hops in Brett secondary beers.
One of them went through a stage of tasting like pure lavender! Then it just went back and forth between fruit types and levels of ripeness

Sounds great! I'm excited to use the combination, it's already a very fruit-forward beer due to the strain of brett in ECY03. I'm still deciding on whether to use Crystal or something tropical for the other batch - possibly Galaxy...?

Latest posts

Back