dry hopping question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew

Reaction score
i am doing a pale tonight and the recipe calls for using 3/4 of an oz of hop pellets and then use the balance to dry hop later.......when do i add the hops for dry hopping............i do not use a secondary but do i have to secondary to dry hop.........so i wait a week or do i add the hops after teh yeast

can someone give me some ideas

thanks

Someone will definitely chime in about when to add the hops when not using a secondary but I think generally after about a week or so is good. You want to wait for the active fermentation to settle down and then add the hops for dry hopping.

Me, I use a secondary and it makes dry hopping easy. Just put them in the bottom of the carboy and rack on top of them.

Use your hydrometer to give you clues as to when primary fermentation is finished. Then either rack to secondary on top of the hops or plop the hops in the primary. Time should never be used to gauge if fermentation is finished. For that matter, neither should your airlock.

is that i need to wait for the primary fermentation to end before adding the hops!

collins.........what do you use to secondary.......carboy or better bottle or something else

I primary only (3 to 4 weeks) and have very good results dryhopping with pellets in a hops bag. I generally wait until a week to 10 days before I'm going to bottle, rather than thinking from the beginning of fermentation. That usually puts me at about 3 weeks in primary. You only want to dryhop for a week or 10 days. Too much time dryhopping and you risk 'grassy' flavors in your beer.

so you do use a hop bag for the pellets? I primary 3 weeks typically.........I guess I'll do the same and then dry hop for an extra week

My secondary is in a glass carboy. I primary in a 25 liter and then transfer to a 20 liter for secondary.

No hop bag for me.

I dry hopped a batch a couple of weeks ago for about two weeks... no problems. My last batch only got dry hopped for a week but I haven't tried it yet.

RDWHAHB :D

Back