Dry hopping my Simcoe IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beefeater

Reaction score
Hello!

I've had a Simcoe IPA in primary now for 36 hours and I just took a gravity reading; 1.068 to 1.014 in 36 hours: 2.2%attenuation per hour!
Hydrometer sample tasted good; good bitterness but not a lot of hop aroma.

It is made from leftover grains: 58% pale, 25% munich, 10% vienna, 7% crystal 80L.
21 liters (5.5 gallons) in the bucket on top of a US-05 yeast cake from my SNPA-like pale ale.
It took off like a rocket!

It is hopped to 68IBU with 100grams (~3.5oz) of Simcoe.
30g FWH (90 minutes)
20g 30 min
20g 10min
30g 0min (steeped for 20 minutes while cooling)

Now I have another 100 grams of Simcoe (whole hops), and I want to use some or all of that for dry hopping.

Any suggestions on when to introduce them, how huch and for how long? I've never done this before..

beefeater

My recomendations based on past experience:

If you keg, dry hop in the keg.
If you bottle, wait until you reach your FG, rack to a secondary, and dry hop there.
In either case leave the beer on the hops for about 10-14 days and use some kind of big bag to hold the hops (I use a paint strainer).

I usually use 1 oz (28 grams) of hops when I dry hop. I get pretty good aroma out of that.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back