Dry hopping / finishing advice needed for parti-gyle dry stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unclebrazzie

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I brewed a parti-gyle impy stout about two months ago. The second runnings became something that was conceived as a dry stout.

Malt bill is hard to specify due to it being second runnings, but it's mostly Maris Otter, Choc, black & roast barley with a dash of oats.

This second brew got infected with wild Bretts. I kept it, and just sampled it yesterday: SG 1004 coming from 1050. Super dry, very roasty, with a little bite of brett/lacto sour in the back. Overall, not the failure I dreaded it to be with the unwanted infection. The flavour is a bit thin and icky though: there's not enough body to do something useful with the Bretty background.

Any ideas on how to pull this one through? I could dry hop to build around/mask the bretts a bit, but not sure if that'd go with the roast flavours.

Auto-follo-up, in case anyone actually cares.

I decided to blend the brew with toddy (cold-pressed coffee), hich will complement the roast flavour and smell already present.

More news if and when available.

Back