Dry Hopping Experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jkali860

Reaction score
I have brewed a 1 gallon batch of a IIPA and have its about 2 days away from bottling. I usually just experiment with the 1 gallon batches and this time I am seeing if there is an amount of dry hops that is too much. I decided to go all out and dry hopped with the equivalent (for a 5 gallon batch) of 11 oz. combined of Citra, Amarillo, and Simcoe. I thought I'd do this because, why not??

Has anyone else dry hopped with this much hops?
What is the most amount of hops anyone has used for dry hopping before??

Cheers!!

There was an article in BYO about dryhopping having point of diminishing returns, I can't recall the exact amount, but basically they said there's a point where you can keep adding but you're not going to see a marked increase in presence.

I think at 11oz into a 1gal batch you will easily hit that point and surpass it. I recommend cutting that amount down to an ounce per, for 3oz total. Save the hops for future batches.

I have read some articles as well but can't remember seeing an actual amount marked as a diminishing return. Thought it was worth a personal experiment since I'm only using a little over 2 oz. of hops for the 1 gallon batch.
I totally agree that it's pretty silly to use that many hops for a 5 gallon batch, but I haven't been getting the powerful aromas I've wanted.
How has anyone got that amazing "oh ****" aroma moment when smelling your beer? amounts, times, any suggestions?

Thanks all!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I was quite surprised my amarillo ale didnt have a huge hoppy aroma and flavour being dry hopped with 3oz for 1 week. Next time i will use pellets and see if there is a difference, I have a feeling i 'wasted' alot of the hop flavours just having them sit on the surface (whole hops).

Throw some more hops in at flameout and let them steep for 30 min or so! A hopback is also something you could look in to.

Throw some more hops in at flameout and let them steep for 30 min or so! A hopback is also something you could look in to.

Ive always been confused with the flameout additions. Are late additions more effective at driving hop flavour into the beer as apposed to dry hopping before bottling?

Ive always been confused with the flameout additions. Are late additions more effective at driving hop flavour into the beer as apposed to dry hopping before bottling?

I got some fantastic aroma from an APA that I late hopped once my wort cooled down to 190F. Basically, get the temps down to near 185F, and then whirlpool/steep with a good amount of hops for a length of time. I've seen data points at 20min and 80min, so long as the wort temp stays in the 180's. There was a LOT of aroma gained from the 80min steep, but that's also a long time to keep your wort in the sweet spot.

Then dryhop as normal.
:mug:

From howtobrew.com - Chapter 5.1:

First Wort Hopping
An old yet recently rediscovered process (at least among homebrewers), first wort hopping (FWH) consists of adding a large portion of the finishing hops to the boil kettle as the wort is received from the lauter tun. As the boil tun fills with wort (which may take a half hour or longer), the hops steep in the hot wort and release their volatile oils and resins. The aromatic oils are normally insoluble and tend to evaporate to a large degree during the boil. By letting the hops steep in the wort prior to the boil, the oils have more time to oxidize to more soluble compounds and a greater percentage are retained during the boil.

Only low alpha finishing hops should be used for FWH, and the amount should be no less than 30% of the total amount of hops used in the boil. This FWH addition therefore should be taken from the hops intended for finishing additions. Because more hops are in the wort longer during the boil, the total bitterness of the beer in increased but not by a substantial amount due to being low in alpha acid. In fact, one study among professional brewers determined that the use of FWH resulted in a more refined hop aroma, a more uniform bitterness (i.e. no harsh tones), and a more harmonious beer overall compared to an identical beer produced without FWH.

Bittering
The primary use of hops is for bittering. Bittering hops additions are boiled for 45-90 minutes to isomerize the alpha acids; the most common interval being one hour. There is some improvement in the isomerization between 45 and 90 minutes (about 5%), but only a small improvement at longer times ( <1%). The aromatic oils of the hops used in the bittering addition(s) tend to boil away, leaving little hop flavor and no aroma. Because of this, high alpha varieties (which commonly have poor aroma characteristics) can be used to provide the bulk of the bitterness without hurting the taste of the beer. If you consider the cost of bittering a beer in terms of the amount of alpha acid per unit weight of hop used, it is more economical to use a half ounce of a high alpha hop rather than 1 or 2 ounces of a low alpha hop. You can save your more expensive (or scarce) aroma hops for flavoring and finishing.

Flavoring
By adding the hops midway through the boil, a compromise between isomerization of the alpha acids and evaporation of the aromatics is achieved yielding characteristic flavors. These flavoring hop additions are added 40-20 minutes before the end of the boil, with the most common time being 30 minutes. Any hop variety may be used. Usually the lower alpha varieties are chosen, although some high alpha varieties such as Columbus and Challenger have pleasant flavors and are commonly used. Often small amounts (1/4-1/2 oz) of several varieties will be combined at this stage to create a more complex character.

Finishing
When hops are added during the final minutes of the boil, less of the aromatic oils are lost to evaporation and more hop aroma is retained. One or more varieties of hop may be used, in amounts varying from 1/4 - 4 oz, depending on the character desired. A total of 1-2 oz. is typical. Finishing hop additions are typically 15 minutes or less before the end of the boil, or are added "at knockout" (when the heat is turned off) and allowed to steep ten minutes before the wort is cooled. In some setups, a "hopback" is used - the hot wort is run through a small chamber full of fresh hops before the wort enters a heat exchanger or chiller.

A word of caution when adding hops at knockout or using a hopback - depending on several factors, e.g. amount, variety, freshness, etc., the beer may take on a grassy taste due to tannins and other compounds which are usually neutralized by the boil. If short boil times are not yielding the desired hop aroma or a grassy flavor is evident, then I would suggest using FWH or Dry Hopping.

Dry Hopping
Hops can also be added to the fermenter for increased hop aroma in the final beer. This is called "dry hopping" and is best done late in the fermentation cycle. If the hops are added to the fermenter while it is still actively bubbling, then a lot of the hop aroma will be carried away by the carbon dioxide. It is better to add the hops (usually about a half ounce per 5 gallons) after bubbling has slowed or stopped and the beer is going through the conditioning phase prior to bottling. The best way to utilize dry hopping is to put the hops in a secondary fermenter, after the beer has been racked away from the trub and can sit a couple of weeks before bottling, allowing the volatile oils to diffuse into the beer. Many homebrewers put the hops in a nylon mesh bag - a Hop Bag, to facilitate removing the hops before bottling. Dry hopping is appropriate for many pale ale and lager styles.

I recently read that multiple dry hop additions big you a big aroma and it actually what some breweries do including stone. So you might do 1oz Chinook, then 24 hours later 1oz Centennial, the 24 hours later 1oz Citra, then leaving the whole lot for 3-5 days. This apparently gives you a bigger hop aroma that sicking them all in together.

Back