Dry Hopping Brewer's Best Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shish

Reaction score
So, I chose Brewer's Best American Amber for my first beer and brewed it Feb 7, using 1056 for my yeast. I chose my style a bit randomly, so I decided to drink a variety of ambers so I could make an educated comparison when mine finishes. Go figure, ambers are way maltier than I prefer. I'm considering dry hopping with some willamette to cut through some of the malt. I know this won't be a pure amber ale anymore but will it taste good? Am I better off just leaving it alone? If I dry hop is willamette (which is the hops the kit used) a good choice and how much for how long?

I'm considering 2 oz of willamette for 10-14 days at this point, but I'm going to give my beer a sniff and possibly a taste before making my final decision. Any input? The full Brewer's Best ingredients list can be found here.

IMHO 6 to 7 days minimum and 14 days maximum. I try to hit 7 days but life sometimes interferes so it may get a little longer.

Dry hopping will get you hop aroma but no more bitterness which I think is what you want for balancing a too malty beer. To add bitterness the hops need to be boiled for some time, with the usual amount being 1 hour. Look for information on making a "hop tea" as that will add bitterness and can be added after fermentation has started.

Back