dry hop pellet particles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aggie10

Reaction score
I've dry hopped loose pellets 4 times and never get particles to settle out. Brew room is 66 F. Last one got to 10 days, intended 5 days, before I gave up and bottled. Paint strainer bag on inflow end of siphon wouldn't let beer flow, so I went commando. Now I have lots of hop particles in suspension in bottles. After one week in bottles beer is carbonating fine and taste is great (NEIPA), but I have to drink thru my teeth to strain out particles. Questions are:
1. is drinking particles unhealthy?
2. put paint strainer bag on inflow or outflow end of siphon?
3. will particles ever settle out in bottles?

Also, in frustration re above I am now trying dryhopping a batch in a pantyhose bag with stainless steel weights to help submerge bag. On Day 3 and there is no fresh hop aroma.
4. Is it most likely the technique or weak hops, 3 oz Cascade this time vs previous 3 oz Amarillo?
5. Should I add another bag with 2 oz Apollo I have?

Thanks in advance!

the particles will settle out if it doesn't get infected. my black ipa had some hops floating around in the first part of the keg. i just told everyone to enjoy the extra flavor floating around.

3 days is nothing as a dry hop goes. i would let mine sit for no less than a week.

I've dry hopped loose pellets 4 times and never get particles to settle out. Brew room is 66 F. Last one got to 10 days, intended 5 days, before I gave up and bottled. Paint strainer bag on inflow end of siphon wouldn't let beer flow, so I went commando. Now I have lots of hop particles in suspension in bottles. After one week in bottles beer is carbonating fine and taste is great (NEIPA), but I have to drink thru my teeth to strain out particles. Questions are:
1. is drinking particles unhealthy?
2. put paint strainer bag on inflow or outflow end of siphon?
3. will particles ever settle out in bottles?

Also, in frustration re above I am now trying dryhopping a batch in a pantyhose bag with stainless steel weights to help submerge bag. On Day 3 and there is no fresh hop aroma.
4. Is it most likely the technique or weak hops, 3 oz Cascade this time vs previous 3 oz Amarillo?
5. Should I add another bag with 2 oz Apollo I have?

Thanks in advance!
1. I haven't heard that it is unhealthy, except to dogs.
2. If you put it on the outflow side, make sure it is very loose to allow space to collect without clogging. I've never had the need to try that.
3. They should. I haven't had particles not settle in the fermenter.
4. Pantyhose are a very tight weave, I wonder how much flow you get. Also are the hops very loose inside? If not the flow through would be restricted. Cascade and Amarillo would be different, how much IDK.
5. That would be up to you. If you want more hop presence. Apollo is a Bittering hop with onion, garlic and chives taste. Aroma similar to Columbus. I haven't used it, or if I did it was long ago. It doesn't sound to me like a good candidate for a dry hop.

This is why I dry hop using a paint strainer bag with a couple of shot glasses to sink it. 5 days later it pops up to the top . Then I keg it.

If you have a way of cold crashing, it might get some of those particles to drop. I use either a mini-fridge or a rope tub filled with ice and covered by a sleeping bag.

I've never had a problem siphoning with a paint strainer bag over the inlet. I always leave a big open area around the end to maximize surface area. I've seen some people use a big stainless washer to help keep the bag open. When I tried it with my polyester voile bag though, I couldn't get it to flow at all.

If you have a way of cold crashing, it might get some of those particles to drop. I use either a mini-fridge or a rope tub filled with ice and covered by a sleeping bag.

I've never had a problem siphoning with a paint strainer bag over the inlet. I always leave a big open area around the end to maximize surface area. I've seen some people use a big stainless washer to help keep the bag open. When I tried it with my polyester voile bag though, I couldn't get it to flow at all.
I'm going to try a voile bag on the outlet, that way I can shake it a bit if it slows down. The hop socks I have from @wilserbrewer are really long, might have enough surface area to do an excellent job of filtering without slowing down too much.

Your hop flakes should settle in the bottles, pour slowly and carefully. You could use a small (nylon) strainer to filter the beer through on her way into the glass.

Bags can be very restrictive to hop extraction, especially if the beer can't permeate freely. If you really want or need to, use roomy bags and periodic agitation to help with hop oil extraction. When throwing $10-30 of dry hops in a fermenter, you want to get all of that goodness out.

I toss in dry hops loose and give them a gentle stir once of twice a day* for 3-5 days. Rarely longer. Then the batch gets cold crashing for 2-3 days and it's ready to package.

Don't stick that siphon or racking cane down on the bottom, rack from a few inches below the beer surface and lower the cane as the level drops.

* I use a modified bucket lid that has a 2nd, 1" hole, wide enough to fit the back of my long plastic brew spoon through.

Back