Dry Hop in Keg Concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfavors

Reaction score
Two days ago I kegged my IPA. Sample tasted good at kegging. I wanted to dry hop it in the keg so I dropped in 2 oz. of citra hops in a sack (sanitized of course). Hooked it up to force carb, and chill in the keezer. Just for giggles, I pulled a draft today. Aroma was great, but the taste was not so good. Had very strong diesel like off flavor. Did I do something wrong, or is it just to green and will improve with time. I didnt stir it up at all either, so I am wondering if all the hop oils are near the bottom since I just dropped the hop sack in.

Any thoughts or recommendations? I am hoping I just need to RDWHAHB....

Thanks for any info.

I've never tasted diesel, so I'm guessing it's just green.

Hop oils will always be dispersed throughout the keg.

Oil floats it water. It would be at the top rather than the bottom. Oil density is less than that of water. I don't have a keg, but it seems like dry hopping in the secondary under pressure. I give my vote to give it some time and RDWHAHB. Just not that brew for a bit.

Update: I shook the keg up really well, and the taste greatly improved! All I can figure is that the hopsack was resting right next to the dip tube and just too concentrated. Still tasted too green, but right what should be expected after just 2 days in the keg. Much happier now... time to RDWHA(few)HB's

Update: I shook the keg up really well, and the taste greatly improved! All I can figure is that the hopsack was resting right next to the dip tube and just too concentrated. Still tasted too green, but right what should be expected after just 2 days in the keg. Much happier now... time to RDWHA(few)HB's

This makes me happy. Having the same issue as you did. Dry hopped two kegs, one with 2oz. Citra and the other with 2oz. Simcoe. Very strong green aroma with high alcohol(diesel fumes). Hops are bagged and weighted down right next to the dip tube. Hoping its turns out good, undrinkable now after one week. Thinking about pulling the hops out after 2-3 weeks in the keg.

Back