Dry hop for a month

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackE1

Reaction score
To start off the reason this happened is work got in the way of my brewing. I brewed Russian Rivers Blind Pig IPA. It had 2 oz dry hops and 1 oz American oak.

The oak and hops were added after transferring to secondary 8 weeks into the brew. Then it sat till today and that was 4 weeks on the oak and hops.

I took it off the hops because everything i have read or heard says no longer then 14 days or the hops will produce grassy off flavors.

it is still sitting on the oak. I tasted it and it seems to need more conditioning, but i have never tasted an oak aged IPA. I did not taste grassy flavors but it did seem to be more of a bitter bite then your average IPAs. I love IPAs and IIPAs and their bitterness but this was just a bit different flavor.
Do you think conditioning will help mellow it out?

I took it off the hops because everything i have read or heard says no longer then 14 days or the hops will produce grassy off flavors.

Do you think conditioning will help mellow it out?

That seems more dependent on hop variety and temp. I have dryhopped for 6 weeks plus in the keg on more than one occasion, with no grassy taste.

Yes, time will mellow all beers.:mug:

It was 0.5 oz of cascade and 1 oz of willamette at about 65 to 68 degrees F.

It was 0.5 oz of cascade and 1 oz of willamette at about 65 to 68 degrees F.

If you didn't taste off flavors I wouldn't sweat it. I've never had problems with Cascade, Centennial, or Amarillo. Never did willamette that long.

I am planning on a long dry hop for my Blind Pig clone too in the back room where it is about 60F. I think the lower temp really helps with a longer dry hop but there may be some varieties that will give off grassy flavors after a while no matter what, just don't know which ones.

Back